1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
very good van
By Buddy5960 on 06/10/09 13:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used and i have had very minimal trouble with it.Very good van.

Nice car, but needs a little work.
By Tony on 11/02/05 21:30 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Me and my family bought a brand new 1998 Caravan with 5 miles on it, and we liked it, for a little while. Head gasket failed at 16,000 miles, had many porblems with A/C, and after replacing every component, me and the dealer got to the point that it just needed an adjusted belt after every winter. after a few more parts replaced, the trans tore apart at 73,000 miles, just slipped into the warrenty. then recently, the car needed 2 rigorus mainance jobs, because the engine would hesesitate, nearly stall, backfire, shake, jiggle, and then the power steering was leaking, and oil is slightly leaking. I regret ever buying this car, and I wished that I just got a Ford Taurus.

Great Van
By Cheesecubs on 06/16/05 20:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Bought this van new in 1998 and have had no problems other than normal wear up to now. Had to put in a $50 front-end part and that is it. Greating driving van, easy in and out. Lots of flexible room.

Love Hate Relationship
By Newman on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought the cheapest model I could get (4 cylinder); turned out not to be so inexpensive. Have loved the utility, design, looks, comfort, handling, sharp turning of the vehicle. It has been the worst car I have had for reliability; on my third transmission, second ac system has now died, need a third water pump, etc. The fuel economy is also suprisingly poor for a 4 cylinder engine (average about 19 mpg).

Never should have left the plant
By Bubba in SF on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

This is the worse vehicle I have ever owned.At 38000 mi.the valve cover gaskets went. At 78000, the front seals went. At 93000 m. the head gaskets, rear seals and water pump went. The tranny went at 97000. My vehicle before this was an 88 Jeep Cherokee that had over heating problems. I would never consider a Chrysler product ever again. We had to buy a Camry while we wait for a tranny so we can sell this lemon.

Runs & runs
By Tugg53 on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I have driven this vehicle for 6 years with no problems for over 150,00km. I have it serviced regularly and I dont abuse it or drive it hard. I several times done 8.2 or better litres/100km app 26-27mpg US. It is a 5 passenger 4cylinder auto trans. I can cruise comfortably at 110km/hr. The only time there is any shortage of power is on mountain roads when I shift down she goes. Been a great vehicle so far.

Watch out for head gasket repair
By bdenis on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Many issues with the enginer. The head gasket required replacement within 3 years. Also, the oil pan and main rear seal need to be replaced after 5 years/85k miles.

Not bad - but ....
By Krestoff on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Had this car for 5.5 years. No major problem but had to get the algniment fixed twice and complete brakes repalced at 35,000. Transmission is rough but is still going. Have 51,500 miles on van. For price not bad, but wondering how much longer it will go before major problems. Selling car just for that reason.

done with dodge
By nlpa on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Purchesed this vehicle because the deal was good. It was OK for the first 40k miles. The exhaust did not leave a month after the warranty expired. The main computer was replaced for ~$1,000 at 40k miles. The head gusket got broken at 45k miles causing damage to cylinders. The trade-in value at 45k miles was a couple hundred $$. Ended up donating this junk to charity. will never think Dodge again

Solid family vehicle
By Soccer ma on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Bought this car to replace my dying 1990 caravan. Chose the base model & added the 3.1 litre v6, with 2nd sliding door & seven pass seating. Had a problem with a sticking valve around 36,000 miles and after 3 trips the the dealer, and my warantee ran out they finally got it right. Maintain this vehicle with regular 3600-5000 mile service and it will do its job. The carpet is cheap, but, hey not a bad multi passenger vehicle for $18,000+/-.