1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
My 1st 98 was better than the 2nd 98 YES I bought a 2nd one for my dogs and this one east money like a pig.
By pianomann on 06/23/11 03:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I have been pumping $300-500 a month in repairs and replacement parts since Christmas Eve 2010,,,it has 98 800 it us going to get paid off in 1 lump hopefully and it is going to another Charity supporter I have HAD IT with Chrysler and wouldnt take another 1 if it was FREE !!

Contented
By Happy on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

After buying my Caravan in 03 I did have to rebuild the starter solenoid, but other than that I've had regular maintenance done on it, which of course is expected. New tires, brakes, radiator and transmission flushes filters etc. The only unexpected problem was with the serpentine belt, but I think the mechanic may have been the problem when I had to get a second one 14 mos. later. At that time I had to replace the tensioner which may have been the cause of the second serpentine. I've been very happy with this car. No car is going to be problem free if you don't do regular maintenance. And I'm still driving it and going to pass it on to my daughter.

1998 Dodge Caravan 4cylinder
By Marky Mark on 04/25/10 17:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this used caravan in 2000 because I started a family of 4. I brought the price down to our price range which was practically a steal. Only 5,000 miles used. A lot of space inside roomy. Rides well. Only drive 5 to 6 miles a day, full tank of gas last me a month. Some mechanical problems, tires would tread a bit faster than usual, AC needed freon in 3 yrs, leaks oil had it check out and fixed new head gasket, oil pan gasket still leaks to this day. So I just add a qt. of oil every a month. Transmission was slipping at 40,000 miles had it serviced. I have 75,000 miles on it to this day. The quality of this van is not to good, things breaks down sooner than you would think.

Drive in comfort
By docdoc on 01/30/10 12:36 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my Caravan new and after 12 years it's still going strong. I keep hearing about tranny problems, but have really had no issues with the exception of an occasional hard downshift. Of course, I have had it serviced as recommended. With the exception of replacing the water pump after 11 years, the car has exceeded my expectations. It's quite comfortable. I tried the new stow & go at the dealer and very much prefer my captain chairs. Flex fuel feature in 1997 was ahead of its time.

Great until 100,000 miles
By Deb on 06/10/09 06:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought my van from a Dodge dealer used in 2001 with about 40,000 miles on the engine. Overall was a great vehicle, minimum break downs, did have problem keeping brakes, both time replaced still under warranty. Lucky me. Air conditioning also had to be repaired. At 106,000 miles on Christmas eve 2008 we lost our transmission on interstate 95, fully loaded with Christmas tree and gifts, on our way to my sisters in Boston. 70 miles from home, with my 12 year old daughter, and 10 below zero. Was not fun experience. $2600 to replace the transmission with a factory rebuilt engine. We decided to get out while the getting was good before this became a money pit. And purchased a new car.

Comfortable transportation
By smoke2345 on 06/01/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I've had my minivan for eleven years and had only major issue I have had is to replace the starter after seven years. I hear a lot about bad transmissions in these vehicles, but I have not had a problem with mine. Possibly because I have had it serviced when I was supposed to. Overall, it's been very reliable.

So far, so good..
By Evergreen on 10/07/08 20:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this car with some misgivings because of their overall poor reputation for reliability but ours has been pretty sound. We are at 129K miles and only two real problems so far. Changed the engine main bearing seal for about $400. The dash indications go blank about once a week for a few minutes. You kinda know when it's coming because the ABS light comes on first. Consensus is it's the "Body Control Module" but since it's $900 to replace and hasn't broke permanent we haven't fixed it. Transmission is still okay. Can't beat the comfort/versatility for a family of five. Took a two week vacation last winter to the grand canyon and it plowed through ice, rain and snow like a champ.

InNeed of a Car
By Slim Shady on 07/31/08 21:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Like any other vehicle, if serviced timely it'll serve it's purpose...I guess. Bought the car used in 2006 because my family was in need of a car at the time. I can say, "that the experience has been fairly decent...until the final note was paid." Hardly nothing went wrong; and then the bottom fell out! I may have replaced the alt., both water and fuel pumps, brake booster, therm, rad./relay fan, and several other parts all within 6-8 mos. But hey, what can I say. It was my only means of transportation and for that I'm blessed! I've said it before, and I'll say again: never buy a "Dodge" again!

Dodge Caravan 10 Year Owner Ratings
By Familyman on 04/05/08 04:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Overall, I am disappointed with the vehicle. I spend a lot of money the first 4-5 years repairing problems - what a piece of junk. While the car settled down in terms of repair after that, the repairs are again spiking as the mileage builds beyond the 200K mark; brakes, trans (again and again...), radiator, heater core, brakes again, cat. converter). While there are some good design features, mechanically the car is a design failure (my personal opinion).

Bad Transmission & 3.0L Timing Belt
By Sound Advice on 06/06/07 13:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Trade-in or sell your Caravan before 100K miles. Reason - the transmission will go out and cost you $2K to replace. If you are unfortunate to have the 3.0L engine ... change your timing belt every 60K miles otherwise this "interference engine" is going to self-destruct one day on you after the timing belt breaks! (Seems the pistons keep moving and slam into the valves,walls,whatever they can hit ... when the timing belt breaks) I really like the Caravan, but if there is a next one; it is going to be traded-in or sold before 90K miles. 3.0L engine owners ... it is a ticking time bomb under your hood. Don't believe me ... ask a decent mechanic about the 3.0L interference engine!