Used 1998 Dodge Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

My 1st 98 was better than the 2nd 98 YES I bought a 2nd one for my dogs and this one east money like a pig.
By pianomann

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I have been pumping $300-500 a month in repairs and replacement parts since Christmas Eve 2010,,,it has 98 800 it us going to get paid off in 1 lump hopefully and it is going to another Charity supporter I have HAD IT with Chrysler and wouldnt take another 1 if it was FREE !!

Favorite Features

Cu FT

Suggested Improvements

Everythng

Contented
By Happy

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

After buying my Caravan in 03 I did have to rebuild the starter solenoid, but other than that I've had regular maintenance done on it, which of course is expected. New tires, brakes, radiator and transmission flushes filters etc. The only unexpected problem was with the serpentine belt, but I think the mechanic may have been the problem when I had to get a second one 14 mos. later. At that time I had to replace the tensioner which may have been the cause of the second serpentine. I've been very happy with this car. No car is going to be problem free if you don't do regular maintenance. And I'm still driving it and going to pass it on to my daughter.

Favorite Features

Reliable, comfortable with a good ride.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps rechecking the serpentine or tensioner problems if others have had the same problem.

1998 Dodge Caravan 4cylinder
By Marky Mark

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this used caravan in 2000 because I started a family of 4. I brought the price down to our price range which was practically a steal. Only 5,000 miles used. A lot of space inside roomy. Rides well. Only drive 5 to 6 miles a day, full tank of gas last me a month. Some mechanical problems, tires would tread a bit faster than usual, AC needed freon in 3 yrs, leaks oil had it check out and fixed new head gasket, oil pan gasket still leaks to this day. So I just add a qt. of oil every a month. Transmission was slipping at 40,000 miles had it serviced. I have 75,000 miles on it to this day. The quality of this van is not to good, things breaks down sooner than you would think.

Favorite Features

Sliding doors on both sides.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability in every part of the engine, A/C, tire wear, transmission.

Drive in comfort
By docdoc

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my Caravan new and after 12 years it's still going strong. I keep hearing about tranny problems, but have really had no issues with the exception of an occasional hard downshift. Of course, I have had it serviced as recommended. With the exception of replacing the water pump after 11 years, the car has exceeded my expectations. It's quite comfortable. I tried the new stow & go at the dealer and very much prefer my captain chairs. Flex fuel feature in 1997 was ahead of its time.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Better air conditioning. A dark van in the heat of summer is a bear to drive.

Great until 100,000 miles
By Deb

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought my van from a Dodge dealer used in 2001 with about 40,000 miles on the engine. Overall was a great vehicle, minimum break downs, did have problem keeping brakes, both time replaced still under warranty. Lucky me. Air conditioning also had to be repaired. At 106,000 miles on Christmas eve 2008 we lost our transmission on interstate 95, fully loaded with Christmas tree and gifts, on our way to my sisters in Boston. 70 miles from home, with my 12 year old daughter, and 10 below zero. Was not fun experience. $2600 to replace the transmission with a factory rebuilt engine. We decided to get out while the getting was good before this became a money pit. And purchased a new car.

Favorite Features

Huge cargo area, love that, I am self employed, and this was the best feature. I do shows and I could load tons of merchandise as well as my displays into this van. Comfortable ride. I miss my van!

Suggested Improvements

Please Dodge if you want to stay in business improve your transmissions. There have been so many issues with them with the Caravan. I knew about this and even with good maintenance we still lost ours. Shame, I loved this van, it was very useful. But until Dodge improves this I will not buy another.