Used 1998 Dodge Caravan LE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Most Helpful|
Night mare
By MA

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

This is the worst I could have ever owned. I have tried my best to spread the word to my friends about not to buy Dodge caravan or their products. Bought it used, computer went out, Dealer did not know the problem, so he replaced fuel pump, car wont start again, then they replaced computer, total cost about 1500$, then starter, then key console, then brakes, then power windows died, other than those, tiny problems like brake light, wiper not operating keep cropping up.Interior is cheap, absolutely scary to go out on highway due to reliability. Beware of the computer. It acts weird on my van.

Favorite Features

ride on highway is smooth, interior can be converted into a cargo van easily.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge, just buy engine and parts from Toyota or Honda, you are incapable of making cars. try bicycles (not the motored ones). I have no idea what you guys would do with the bailout money.

A great vehicle
By kctoolguy

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

The best vehicle I have ever owned. The 4 cylinder engine has been flawless, mileage could be better, 22 city 28 on long hwy trips, transmission lasted until 150K, doesn't burn oil at 212K, still has original rear brakes fronts last about 25K with cheap pads, 40K with ceramic pads, second set of tires (Michelin) lasted over 100K, good (Bosch) plugs last 30 to 40K, timing belts last 130K+. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Well engineered, perfect size, will haul about anything.

Suggested Improvements

better mileage, a little more low speed power with the A/C on, the girls softball team and equipment on board! Relocate fuel filter from above gas tank.

one of the reasons Chrysler is going bye
By pedro

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

My wife bought this thing,even though I objected. I wanted her to get an Odyssey. but she told me "I'm paying for it I pick" Good thing she used better judgment when picking a husband. This thing gets broken, fixed, and then breaks again. It's not the mechanic's fault cause he also works on my accord and that one stays fixed. This thing is made to be have a usable life of 4 years and that's it. Junk it or sell it to your worst enemy. Biggest piece of crap you could buy. You wonder how American car makers got the reputation they got.This is a prime example.

Favorite Features

comfy for family trips but since we can't trust it to make it to the next town, its useless.

Suggested Improvements

Make it to last or at least when you fix something it should stay fixed.

Never buying a Dodge again!
By scrapretreat

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Puchased the vehicle with 65K mi with excellent maintanence records. At 85K mi while 500 mi from home the crank shaft snapped! Stranded in Rolla Mo. for a week we spent our $5,000 vacation fund on a new engine. Thinking our troubles were over we were surprised when at 92K mi the transmission fell out 70 miles from home. Needles to say we will NEVER purchase a Chrysler product again. We've also repaired the windshield, driver power window twice, alternator twice, emission sensor valve and the front end will not stay in line. The windshield wipers are the noisiest I've ever experienced.

Favorite Features

We like the roominess of the van.

Lemon with no value
By huskerlew

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

At 65,000 miles, head gasket blew. Trade in value is very minimal. Reliability and resale are two most important items and this lemon fails in both categories. One would have to ask themselves why they would even consider a 2005 model. When I purchased, my expectations were to exceed 100K without a major repair. Looks like I was led astray.

Favorite Features

The van is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve engine reliability. I understand the transmission is a common problem with the van as well. I will probably dump prior to having another major.