1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
A great vehicle
By kctoolguy on 06/22/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

The best vehicle I have ever owned. The 4 cylinder engine has been flawless, mileage could be better, 22 city 28 on long hwy trips, transmission lasted until 150K, doesn't burn oil at 212K, still has original rear brakes fronts last about 25K with cheap pads, 40K with ceramic pads, second set of tires (Michelin) lasted over 100K, good (Bosch) plugs last 30 to 40K, timing belts last 130K+. I would buy another one.

one of the reasons Chrysler is going bye
By pedro on 05/12/09 13:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

My wife bought this thing,even though I objected. I wanted her to get an Odyssey. but she told me "I'm paying for it I pick" Good thing she used better judgment when picking a husband. This thing gets broken, fixed, and then breaks again. It's not the mechanic's fault cause he also works on my accord and that one stays fixed. This thing is made to be have a usable life of 4 years and that's it. Junk it or sell it to your worst enemy. Biggest piece of crap you could buy. You wonder how American car makers got the reputation they got.This is a prime example.

Night mare
By MA on 03/31/09 03:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

This is the worst I could have ever owned. I have tried my best to spread the word to my friends about not to buy Dodge caravan or their products. Bought it used, computer went out, Dealer did not know the problem, so he replaced fuel pump, car wont start again, then they replaced computer, total cost about 1500$, then starter, then key console, then brakes, then power windows died, other than those, tiny problems like brake light, wiper not operating keep cropping up.Interior is cheap, absolutely scary to go out on highway due to reliability. Beware of the computer. It acts weird on my van.

Lemon with no value
By huskerlew on 11/28/04 21:32 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

At 65,000 miles, head gasket blew. Trade in value is very minimal. Reliability and resale are two most important items and this lemon fails in both categories. One would have to ask themselves why they would even consider a 2005 model. When I purchased, my expectations were to exceed 100K without a major repair. Looks like I was led astray.

Never buying a Dodge again!
By scrapretreat on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Puchased the vehicle with 65K mi with excellent maintanence records. At 85K mi while 500 mi from home the crank shaft snapped! Stranded in Rolla Mo. for a week we spent our $5,000 vacation fund on a new engine. Thinking our troubles were over we were surprised when at 92K mi the transmission fell out 70 miles from home. Needles to say we will NEVER purchase a Chrysler product again. We've also repaired the windshield, driver power window twice, alternator twice, emission sensor valve and the front end will not stay in line. The windshield wipers are the noisiest I've ever experienced.

1998 Grand Caravan LE AWD 3.8L
By Jeff on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Excellent running and driving vehicle. Even though used with 75,000 miles runs like my brand new truck.

Great Van
By rdot2112 on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought the van new in Jan. 1998 and it has been fantastic. Looks good, drives great! Other then gas and routine maintenance, I've never had to put a dime in to it.

I love my Caravan
By lyndab on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I've had this car for 3 years, I bought it used from a friend. I did buy an extended warranty but the only problem I've had (knocking on wood) was that the A/C went out. There was another problem with the cruise control that was related to a recall that was fixed for free. I travel a lot on two lane highways because of where I live and I need a reliable car and she's been there for me every mile.

Burned Again
By Mr. Mini Van on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I was one of the people who got burned by the bad transmissions on the mini vans a few years back. Hearing that the problem was fixed I went back to Dodge and after 4 years (just after warranty lapsed) I now need a valve job. Fool me once "Shame on you". Fool me twice "Shame on me". Fool me three times .... NOT A CHANCE!