Used 1998 Dodge Caravan Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

very good van
By Buddy5960

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used and i have had very minimal trouble with it.Very good van.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileadge.

Suggested Improvements

Tinted windows should be standerd.

Nice car, but needs a little work.
By Tony

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Me and my family bought a brand new 1998 Caravan with 5 miles on it, and we liked it, for a little while. Head gasket failed at 16,000 miles, had many porblems with A/C, and after replacing every component, me and the dealer got to the point that it just needed an adjusted belt after every winter. after a few more parts replaced, the trans tore apart at 73,000 miles, just slipped into the warrenty. then recently, the car needed 2 rigorus mainance jobs, because the engine would hesesitate, nearly stall, backfire, shake, jiggle, and then the power steering was leaking, and oil is slightly leaking. I regret ever buying this car, and I wished that I just got a Ford Taurus.

Favorite Features

Comfy, sleek, contrils are big and easy to use, feels more like a car than a truck

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY IS AWFUL! Poorly designed, electrical glitches are getting annoying, impossible to mainance because everyting is crammed together.

Great Van
By Cheesecubs

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Bought this van new in 1998 and have had no problems other than normal wear up to now. Had to put in a $50 front-end part and that is it. Greating driving van, easy in and out. Lots of flexible room.

Favorite Features

Rolling seats - although now out date. But not in 1998.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing at this point - but maybe better front end components. But, not really a problem.

Love Hate Relationship
By Newman

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought the cheapest model I could get (4 cylinder); turned out not to be so inexpensive. Have loved the utility, design, looks, comfort, handling, sharp turning of the vehicle. It has been the worst car I have had for reliability; on my third transmission, second ac system has now died, need a third water pump, etc. The fuel economy is also suprisingly poor for a 4 cylinder engine (average about 19 mpg).

Favorite Features

Ride, looks, very comfortable front bucket seats, great turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Reliable transmission, engine, and ac unit.

Never should have left the plant
By Bubba in SF

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

This is the worse vehicle I have ever owned.At 38000 mi.the valve cover gaskets went. At 78000, the front seals went. At 93000 m. the head gaskets, rear seals and water pump went. The tranny went at 97000. My vehicle before this was an 88 Jeep Cherokee that had over heating problems. I would never consider a Chrysler product ever again. We had to buy a Camry while we wait for a tranny so we can sell this lemon.

Favorite Features

Great on long trips when new. We used it as a people hauler.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler never should have put this motor with this transmission. (3.0 liter V6) I won't buy Mitsubishi ever for the reason they made this motor. Good luck, Mercedes Benz with trying to fix the quality.