1997 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Unsatisfied American/now going foreign
By foreigner now on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

7yrs old&76,000 miles&it's shot. warranty expired, various items going wrong,Cupholders frontpanel busted, electricalproblems,the service engine light keeps going on(which they kept telling me nothingwas wrong but a short circuit in thecomputer, which was never fixed),several oil leaks later(valve covergaskets replaced twice), struts&linkage needs to be replaced,now problems with more oil leaking &overheating only to find out that the head gasket is bad and needs to be replaced amongst other things. What's the trade-in-value now.NOTHING. I guess I will just have to donate it for a tax deduction. NO more dodges for me. It will now be foreign all the way.

No Mo' Dodges
By No-Mo' Dodges on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

OK ride. Styling has gotten a little long in the tooth. Some electrical problems have arisen as was the case with friends who own the same style/make vehicle.

97 Dodge Caravan
By cnoyes on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This has been an excellent vehicle for us!

Dodge sucks...
By G-manxwa on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This is my first American vehicle...and it will be the lost one too. Got patriotic and bought this, but it hurt me more than anything. It is not reliable at all. I had to change the serpentine belt atleast 3 times (after it givingup in the middle of the road during our road trip), had to change power steering pump (during our roadtrip), had to change waterpump twice and now the dealer wants me to spend another $1000 dollars to check the service engine soon alarm light. It is about time to take the loss and dump this junk. You may save a couple of thousand dollars when you buy new...but you won't be able to get the peace of mind while driving.

Disappointed
By Disappointed in SD on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

Within 2 years things just started to go wrong: wind noise in the driver's side, which after many attempts it is still not fixed. The wipers go on without anyone touching anything (like there is a ghost). Same thing with the cruise control. The latest is a gas leakeage in the a/c system that will cost $1,200 to fix. It's been one problem after the other. I will never again purchase a Dodge product. To add insult to injury even though I had tried to get the wind noise repaired at the dealer many times during the warranty period and they were not able to fix it, once the warranty expired Dodge pretty much said it was out of their hands!

never another dodge
By jools on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought the van new. It has 60k miles now. It has had persistant electrical problems, brake problems, stalling problems, air conditioning problems, and now two valves are cracked (I don't know what these are but they cost 255.00 each to replace. And the water pump is cracked and needs replaced (so I'm told) It's trade in value stinks too.

Never Again
By Sad and Soaked on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

At 100,000 miles, I am replacing the front struts, the links and bushings to the front swaybar, and valve cover gaskets. There is also an as yet undiagnosed problem with an electronic control. Not to mention the three recalls we have had. My first Caravan was a lemon, and I was able to get this Caravan instead. At least we had a few decent years before it started to fall apart. I may not make the repairs, but just get a new van. Not a Dodge.

Decent
By chatty70 on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Since this was my first American make,I was sceptical. It turned out great. I have the 2.4L engine that pumps out 150 HP. That's the same as the 3.0L engine. I travel from East to West and vice- versa on I-70 without any problems. Can't understand why u ppl need gas guzzlers!!

Some Design Problems
By Dan O. on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

The front strut bearings went at 95 000 miles to the tune of $1000. Now the spare tire assembly has corroded so badly it needs replacing at $300. I can smell oil in the heating air and yes the wipes do come on without requesting. Chrysler is not a fun company do deal with, good thing the product is so affordable.

can't complain
By whitewiz on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

i bought this van about 160kkms and it is now 230kkms. Things broken; transmission, rad, a/c, computer. Really the transmission went because the tranny cooler in the rad got a pinhole and sent prestone into the transmission. Not a good design on Chryslers part. I would recomend an external cooler and bypass the rad cooler to anyone who owns one of these. i got my cooler off a junked ford tempo, $10. There is a known problem in the computer on this year it makes the check engine light come on and an the van idles rough. The windshield wipers come on by themselves once in a while, this is a known problem with the wiper switch.