Used 1997 Dodge Caravan ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

bought 1 year ago at an auction
By fairybella18

1997 Dodge Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

I have been blessed with this van, I have had no problems, and just hit 200,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cup holders are in a good place, the air vent to give cool or heat in the back is awesome

none

Gotcha's all beat!
By Unhappy and Broke

1997 Dodge Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

I just may have you all beat on the repairs, lol.One thing a little different, when I turn on my wipers, sometimes they'll come on, and when they finally come on they won't shut off until you are totally aggravated by the wiper dragging across the dry windshield. I have replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, sway bar, bearings, power steering pump, fuses,taken it in for 3 recalls, only to find I had to replace the tension pulley, the ac doesn't work, the only fan speed left for heat is high,the head lights won't stay on,the parking lights don't work anymore (rusted sockets). Needs rotors, brakes again, this year, had a strut plate put in for the rusted housing, other side needs now and struts, door stripping.

The only thing now that I can think of that I liked was sitting high. seats are awful to take out or move or put back in.

Fix all that are common problems if you want to keep in business. I won't buy another Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth product. I just can't sink any more money into this vehicle. New motto, instead of get out of dodge; get away from dodge!

My MiniVan
By David

1997 Dodge Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

After researching for another car I decided to look at the ratings for the Dodge I own. It was unexpected to see such lower ratings for it. I figured I would help out and show that my minivan did not fall apart like the others. I bought my minivan in 1999 when it was a 2 year old model. My wife and I have loved every minute of it, and we have 2 kids. I have the 3.3L Sport, and I get at least 19-21 mpg, with good passing power and comfort. I currently have 134,000 miles on it, and I haven't had any issues at all. The engine is still strong, and the interior looks good, even with kids. I can remove the seats, interchange them, and still have plenty of room in the rear. No complaints.

Interchangeable rear seats, dual sliding doors, great mileage and comfort.

With this minivan being about 10 years old now, all items have been improved on. I have rented newer models over the past years, and they are great.

I love my Caravan
By Julie Lorentz

1997 Dodge Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

I have had very good luck with my Caravan. I am disabled, and the 4 door design allows me to easily load my walker in the side door. I need a vehicle I can trust, and my Caravan has proven itself trustworthy. When the time comes, I plan to replace it with another Caravan.

The 4 passenger doors make it easy for hauling lots of people, or lots of gear. The back two seats come out easily, and has been a godsend with my daughters moving to college, home again, back and forth.

I wish the handles for the windows were higher on the door. I'm only 5' tall, and it is difficult for me to open or close windows while driving.

Dodge Caravan Sport, NOT RECCOMENDED
By RocketMazda

1997 Dodge Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

Van is very roomy, even though it is not the grand caravan. Controls were confusing and hard to get used to sence they were all symbols. Had to replace tranny and differential at 50,000 miles (which is bullcrap) And after that was repaired, the van died 200 miles away from home at a rest area a few days later. I had no power and all the relays were clicking. We treat the fan good, and dont drive it hard. the passanger sliding door comes out of allignment frequently and is very hard to shut unless u push down on it. Passenger side door (front) panel is loose/cracked.

17" Rims Rear Wiper The best and best working thing on this van is probably the cupholders...I really like them. Lots of power.

Build it better! Fix the common dodge caravan transmission problem already! These seats could feel better...I weigh only 135 pounds and it feels like there going to colapse. Needs rear climate...not just crappy vents for the back in the front doors. Stiffer front end suspension.