Used 1997 Dodge Caravan Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Most Helpful|
Unsatisfied American/now going foreign
By foreigner now

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

7yrs old&76,000 miles&it's shot. warranty expired, various items going wrong,Cupholders frontpanel busted, electricalproblems,the service engine light keeps going on(which they kept telling me nothingwas wrong but a short circuit in thecomputer, which was never fixed),several oil leaks later(valve covergaskets replaced twice), struts&linkage needs to be replaced,now problems with more oil leaking &overheating only to find out that the head gasket is bad and needs to be replaced amongst other things. What's the trade-in-value now.NOTHING. I guess I will just have to donate it for a tax deduction. NO more dodges for me. It will now be foreign all the way.

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy, tinted glass

Suggested Improvements

Better quality cupholders, 60/40 split fold in floor 3rd row seat. Better quality engine.

Decent
By chatty70

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Since this was my first American make,I was sceptical. It turned out great. I have the 2.4L engine that pumps out 150 HP. That's the same as the 3.0L engine. I travel from East to West and vice- versa on I-70 without any problems. Can't understand why u ppl need gas guzzlers!!

Favorite Features

Very easy maintenance. Sleek design and great fuel economy!!

Suggested Improvements

None right now. Maybe after 100,000 miles later.

Never Again
By Sad and Soaked

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

At 100,000 miles, I am replacing the front struts, the links and bushings to the front swaybar, and valve cover gaskets. There is also an as yet undiagnosed problem with an electronic control. Not to mention the three recalls we have had. My first Caravan was a lemon, and I was able to get this Caravan instead. At least we had a few decent years before it started to fall apart. I may not make the repairs, but just get a new van. Not a Dodge.

Good van so far
By weldon

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

At 60000 miles I cant complain too much.The 3.0 L engine gets 28-30 mpg highway & the 2 sliding doors are great if you have kids.You can also remove or switch around the two back seats.Some things not so great are : Plastic parts inside that have broken, & the wipers that make a swipe on their own. ( dealership said it is the wiper switch ).The headlights are not the brightest either.Still a good buy for the money I think.

Favorite Features

Removable seats & sliding doors on both sides.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter headlights

can't complain
By whitewiz

1997 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

i bought this van about 160kkms and it is now 230kkms. Things broken; transmission, rad, a/c, computer. Really the transmission went because the tranny cooler in the rad got a pinhole and sent prestone into the transmission. Not a good design on Chryslers part. I would recomend an external cooler and bypass the rad cooler to anyone who owns one of these. i got my cooler off a junked ford tempo, $10. There is a known problem in the computer on this year it makes the check engine light come on and an the van idles rough. The windshield wipers come on by themselves once in a while, this is a known problem with the wiper switch.

Favorite Features

lots of room good exterior style peppy

Suggested Improvements

external tranny cooler standard