Used 1997 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

It's been there for us
By paul

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought it in '97 w/ 47k on it--I've had to replace 2 trannies one @75k and another @ 140k and I still like this van, 13 yrs old and still gets 18 mpg avg year round 26+ on the interstate-- I'll drive it 'til it keels over!

Has a comfy interior- handles great- Infinity sound is nice

nothing major

my minivan
By Jeanne

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

i love my minivan, i use it for both business and pleasure, fishing, camping and pulling my boat too , i love it.

bought 1 year ago at an auction
By fairybella18

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I have been blessed with this van, I have had no problems, and just hit 200,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cup holders are in a good place, the air vent to give cool or heat in the back is awesome

none

1997 Dodge Caravan Sports
By Song

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I purchased my 1997 Dodge Caravan Sport new for $22K in 10/1996. 12 years later, the van has 135,000 miles on it. I heard tons of complaints from consumers about this van but I personally never experienced any problems with the van at all! Is it a coincidence or merely lucky? At 135K miles, the original transmission still shifts smoothly, no electrical problems of any knid at all! All I did was to replace brake pads every 30K miles,change engine oil every 7K miles all by myself. I did change front rotors at about 100K miles. Engine never tuned up, transimission fluid never changed either, AC still works like new and blows ice cold air. Changed 3 sets of tires in 12 years, of course!

Ride comfort, car like driving, lots of room for people and stuff, very reliable to me! Zero problems so far! Caravan Sport is a beautiful van too, full body painting, even roof rack is painted to match the color of the van.

Nothing! Hope 2008 Caravan has the same reliablity level. Thinking of buying a new van but this baby refuse to die on me. It still looks new with no rust at all!I guess I am just a lucky guy.

Gotcha's all beat!
By Unhappy and Broke

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I just may have you all beat on the repairs, lol.One thing a little different, when I turn on my wipers, sometimes they'll come on, and when they finally come on they won't shut off until you are totally aggravated by the wiper dragging across the dry windshield. I have replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, sway bar, bearings, power steering pump, fuses,taken it in for 3 recalls, only to find I had to replace the tension pulley, the ac doesn't work, the only fan speed left for heat is high,the head lights won't stay on,the parking lights don't work anymore (rusted sockets). Needs rotors, brakes again, this year, had a strut plate put in for the rusted housing, other side needs now and struts, door stripping.

The only thing now that I can think of that I liked was sitting high. seats are awful to take out or move or put back in.

Fix all that are common problems if you want to keep in business. I won't buy another Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth product. I just can't sink any more money into this vehicle. New motto, instead of get out of dodge; get away from dodge!