1997 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
It's been there for us
By paul on 08/20/10 07:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought it in '97 w/ 47k on it--I've had to replace 2 trannies one @75k and another @ 140k and I still like this van, 13 yrs old and still gets 18 mpg avg year round 26+ on the interstate-- I'll drive it 'til it keels over!

my minivan
By Jeanne on 09/29/09 21:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

i love my minivan, i use it for both business and pleasure, fishing, camping and pulling my boat too , i love it.

bought 1 year ago at an auction
By fairybella18 on 07/26/09 22:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I have been blessed with this van, I have had no problems, and just hit 200,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!

1997 Dodge Caravan Sports
By Song on 11/19/08 06:10 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I purchased my 1997 Dodge Caravan Sport new for $22K in 10/1996. 12 years later, the van has 135,000 miles on it. I heard tons of complaints from consumers about this van but I personally never experienced any problems with the van at all! Is it a coincidence or merely lucky? At 135K miles, the original transmission still shifts smoothly, no electrical problems of any knid at all! All I did was to replace brake pads every 30K miles,change engine oil every 7K miles all by myself. I did change front rotors at about 100K miles. Engine never tuned up, transimission fluid never changed either, AC still works like new and blows ice cold air. Changed 3 sets of tires in 12 years, of course!

Gotcha's all beat!
By Unhappy and Broke on 03/18/08 17:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I just may have you all beat on the repairs, lol.One thing a little different, when I turn on my wipers, sometimes they'll come on, and when they finally come on they won't shut off until you are totally aggravated by the wiper dragging across the dry windshield. I have replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, sway bar, bearings, power steering pump, fuses,taken it in for 3 recalls, only to find I had to replace the tension pulley, the ac doesn't work, the only fan speed left for heat is high,the head lights won't stay on,the parking lights don't work anymore (rusted sockets). Needs rotors, brakes again, this year, had a strut plate put in for the rusted housing, other side needs now and struts, door stripping.

My MiniVan
By David on 04/27/07 05:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

After researching for another car I decided to look at the ratings for the Dodge I own. It was unexpected to see such lower ratings for it. I figured I would help out and show that my minivan did not fall apart like the others. I bought my minivan in 1999 when it was a 2 year old model. My wife and I have loved every minute of it, and we have 2 kids. I have the 3.3L Sport, and I get at least 19-21 mpg, with good passing power and comfort. I currently have 134,000 miles on it, and I haven't had any issues at all. The engine is still strong, and the interior looks good, even with kids. I can remove the seats, interchange them, and still have plenty of room in the rear. No complaints.

One Great Van.
By Kelly Lloyd on 12/14/06 12:43 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This has been a terrific van. It has never failed to start and had no repairs except for brakes and normal maintenance. It is a pleasure to drive, gets good fuel mileage, and rides very good. I like it so much, I bought a 2006 Town & Country last December, but I am not getting rid of my '97.

It does everything
By Paul Revere on 09/23/05 22:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

One of best I have ever owned, along with Honda. Enjoyed driving every time. No back pain on long drives.Properly serviced made it dependable.When not carring dogs and people,it always had room to carry the things I needed to finsh building a cabin.The exterior finish is still like new.

Reliable
By june on 07/26/05 06:38 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This car is fun to drive and also reliable as long as you take good care of it. If something is wrong with the car, take care of it as fast as you can, and it will never give you any problems

I love my Caravan
By Julie Lorentz on 07/25/05 19:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I have had very good luck with my Caravan. I am disabled, and the 4 door design allows me to easily load my walker in the side door. I need a vehicle I can trust, and my Caravan has proven itself trustworthy. When the time comes, I plan to replace it with another Caravan.