1996 Dodge Caravan 2.4L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Keeps on going by Dadman

1996 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Review

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Keeps on going by Dadman
By B Clark on

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used in 1999 with 108,000 miles on it. It now has 210,000 miles on the same 3.0 V6 engine. It now smoke some at startup (worn valve guide seals) but Maxlife Valvoline oil has stopped that. The engine is from Mistubishi and it is as strong as when I got it. No electrical problems, great exhaust system, suspension is wearing, durable interior and great to drive. Now for the trans and a/c. Tranny was rebuilt at 120,000 miles for $1800. Ask for a upgraded rebuild kit not a factory kit. Worth the money. Torque converter started acting up at 190,000.A/C new compressor installed at purchase. The system needs recharging every year. Invest in own recharge kit (cheap).

Favorite Features

Best mini on the market for american company. Love to drive. Love tinted glass. I wish I had dual siders and power rear vents.

Suggested Improvements

Plan on rebuilding a transmission and A/C service. Buy cheap and rebuild your transmission then you know what you've got.