1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
R.I.P. Beastie
By rstlne on 06/19/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I was surprised at the number of bad reviews on here. Granted, this vehicle isn't perfect, but it is a tank. My dad hit a deer at 45 mph head on, and she didn't even need repairs. A/C hasn't worked since 2004 and you had to kick under the glove compartment to turn on the heater but it ran. Forever. I bought it with a bad tranny, replaced it, and have needed only oil changes all the way up until her death at 283,841. It might not be the prettiest, sportiest, or most exciting car on the road but it goes. Forever.

Worst Trade Ever
By rgb on 10/13/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

My brother, mother and I have all driven this thing at one point and we all hate it. The repairs done to this thing are too numerous to post. The transmission went out on it for a second time and I resolved never to buy another Dodge. I won't even look at things made by or associated with that company. When I see anything made by them no matter how cool,new and shiny I think about how this van was a leper in disguise. Everything thing on this van broke: gauges, hub assembly, wiper motor, electronics. Even the paint job was toast. There is truth behind all of those Dodge jokes on Married with Children. My Dad's a mechanic and even with free labor this rust bucket wasn't worth it.

Keeps on going by Dadman
By B Clark on 02/04/07 05:52 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used in 1999 with 108,000 miles on it. It now has 210,000 miles on the same 3.0 V6 engine. It now smoke some at startup (worn valve guide seals) but Maxlife Valvoline oil has stopped that. The engine is from Mistubishi and it is as strong as when I got it. No electrical problems, great exhaust system, suspension is wearing, durable interior and great to drive. Now for the trans and a/c. Tranny was rebuilt at 120,000 miles for $1800. Ask for a upgraded rebuild kit not a factory kit. Worth the money. Torque converter started acting up at 190,000.A/C new compressor installed at purchase. The system needs recharging every year. Invest in own recharge kit (cheap).

Not so bad
By M Gulley on 09/21/05 01:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle used 2 yrs. ago at 68,000 miles. Living in Michigan, I have driven my van to Florida and California and back. It has been very reliable I would say. I am currently at 117,000+.I have had a problem things breaking in the inside of vehicle, like cupholder cover and other little plastic parts. Also recently the A/C went out. I also just replaced the radiator. Otherwise I've been o.k with the Caravan.

Mechanical Challenges
By dcbeckster on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

While the Dodge Caravan is a very popular vehicle the experience by many has been less than adequate. The same problem seems to frequently appear at about 100K miles. The first is usually with the air conditioning not functioning correctly. Equally, the automatic transmission many times will need major repairs. This seems to be fairly consistent with this model.

Buyer beware
By Robert Dennington on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

The car has been trouble from the beginning. Chryler couldn't fix the problems while it was under warranty and now since it is out of warranty the problems keep growing.

Don't buy
By Never Chysler on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Last car, Dodge Colt. Had it for 10 years. Thought the Caravan would be the same. Mistake! Came with defective window seals dumping water on the passenger side floor when it rained 1st 1000 miles-oil leak and shift indicator broke stranding me 100s of miles from home. Belts don't last. I've lost track of the number of times I've replaced them. One broke without warning. I've had oil leaks, antifreeze leaks, squishy brakes and occasional stalls. At 85,000 miles the windshield wipers turn on intermittently, the belts are squeaking, the brakes need to be replaced again, the horn is broken, and the airbag has been recalled. I'm not bothering to repair it

Mistake!
By VTmom on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

We bought our 96 Caravan new. It was a great van UNTIL it hit 50,000 miles and the warranty expired. Then everything that can go wrong with a vehicle has gone wrong. I am afraid to drive it because it is so unreliable. After having it die on my 3 times (once when I was over 8 months pregnant), I refuse to drive this thing. Daimler chrysler could not care less. The warranty has expired so we are on our own. We have now put so much money into the van we can't afford to get rid of it. We can't stop kicking ourselves for keeping it though. We will NEVER own another Dodge vehicle.

Best vehicle I've Owned
By etta on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Very dependable; comfortable on long distance trips w/great mileage; superb family taxi, too.

terrible
By cfrustrated on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

This van has been a lot of trouble- leaking engine gaskets/seals fixed 3 times and is currently leaking again, ac fixed 3 times and is broken now, fuel gauge sensor, air bag sensor,check engine light on due to bad catalytic converter, and transmission going bad. Front wipers turn on intermittently. Bye bye dodge!