Used 1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Most Helpful|
Best vehicle I've Owned
By etta

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Very dependable; comfortable on long distance trips w/great mileage; superb family taxi, too.

Favorite Features

Roomy; good gas mileage, easily cleaned

Suggested Improvements

rear heater/ac

R.I.P. Beastie
By rstlne

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I was surprised at the number of bad reviews on here. Granted, this vehicle isn't perfect, but it is a tank. My dad hit a deer at 45 mph head on, and she didn't even need repairs. A/C hasn't worked since 2004 and you had to kick under the glove compartment to turn on the heater but it ran. Forever. I bought it with a bad tranny, replaced it, and have needed only oil changes all the way up until her death at 283,841. It might not be the prettiest, sportiest, or most exciting car on the road but it goes. Forever.

Favorite Features

Can take a licking and keep on ticking like nobody's business

Loved this minivan
By Suzie

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

My uncle loved his 1996 Dodge Caravan and gave it to me when he bought a brand new one the year before last. This minivan has been great. It drives itself and has been as reliable as any older car would be. I regularly got 27 mpg and the seats are really comfortable. This car was old enough to have personality, but if you don't mind windsheild wipers turning themselves on now and again and the loud knocking noise coming from the glove box, then this could be the car for you. Ours, unfortunately, just hit the end of it's road. But while I was reading reviews about new vans, I thought I'd write a good review for our old one.

Favorite Features

Seats are super comfortable. This car drives itself, it loves to go, go, go.

Suggested Improvements

You can't hear anything in the car because of the wind noise. They need latch for children's carseats. I hate unlocking every door with the key because they keep automatically relocking themselves.

Caravan 3.8L LE/ES 4-dr has been great
By michaelrh

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Original owner, second mini-van. Short wheelbase w/3.8L engine can be a hot rod (at the expense of gas mileage.) Very comfortable for long drives, excellent visibility. Exterior styling is timeless -- I still think it is an attractive design 13 years later! One $200 transmission problem at 70,000 miles, but the car has not been particularly expensive to maintain.

Favorite Features

Can move second seat back 6" when don't need legroom in 3rd seat. Can put 3rd row seat in place of second for a wider seat.

Suggested Improvements

Move front driver's seat back 4-6 inches--not enough leg room. Seats are heavy to remove. Better transmission gearing for 3.8: engine - too low, not good enough gad mileage.

Worst Trade Ever
By rgb

1996 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

My brother, mother and I have all driven this thing at one point and we all hate it. The repairs done to this thing are too numerous to post. The transmission went out on it for a second time and I resolved never to buy another Dodge. I won't even look at things made by or associated with that company. When I see anything made by them no matter how cool,new and shiny I think about how this van was a leper in disguise. Everything thing on this van broke: gauges, hub assembly, wiper motor, electronics. Even the paint job was toast. There is truth behind all of those Dodge jokes on Married with Children. My Dad's a mechanic and even with free labor this rust bucket wasn't worth it.

Favorite Features

Due to its size it will be fun to beat mercilessly with a sledge hammer. My entire family and my boyfriend hate this van.

Suggested Improvements

This van should have included a time machine to allow owners to go back in time and not purchase this vehicle. They would literally have to set all of the plans on fire and start over. Blind monkeys could have designed a better car.