1996 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Bad Choice
By Mike R. on 03/26/05 13:27 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

About the only good things about this vehicle are the wheels and stereo, which I purchased separately. Too many things to mention that have gone wrong, but I'll try. Transmission, W.S. wipers, suspension, belt tensioner, air bag module, air conditioning and 3 recalls. No more Chrysler products for me.

Just try to tear my wife away!
By rickaroo on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I have read a number of very negative things about this vehicle but our experience has been pretty positive. In 60k miles of ownership (60k-120k) the only problem outside routine maintenance has been the air conditioner.

I dont see what the problem is..
By MDozer on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This car seems to get such a range of emotions from their owners. Me for one have only had 1 problem since this van was bought, and the previous owner said they had not problems at all except replacing the tranny at like 90k. About 2 months ago the Air conditioning went out completely, I will admit that we have had a few small issues with the a/c. Other than that the car is great everything is placed well on the inside, the dash is easy to read, and contrary to other reviews NOTHING falls off, yeah there's a lot of plastic but it's all attached very strong. Overall the performance is average, the 3.0V6 is a little slow

I plan to quit this trade name!
By King, P on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I have spent too much money on this van, I now need to pay $2400 for a new transmission that I have complained about for a year!

Great Car
By MCSE on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I've had my 96 Dodge Caravan for going on 8 years and have had no problems with with that required it to be in the shop. Changed tires, brakes, and did normal maintenance and it has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned.

Well Designed, Poorly Made
By Paregoricforthemind on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Van has been a pleasure to drive. It is very roomy, well laid out and the right size for four young kids. I especially like the quad seating and second sliding door, but it is a pain to keep repaired. It infuriates me to take it into the dealer and have the desk guy knowing my problems (and the cost to fix them) before I even describe them. Electrical system is poor and I refuse to pay them to fix the damn wipers which switch on for a few wipes every hour or so. I keep it as a reminder of all the other problems so I remember to buy the Toyota Sienna next time.

Mine's Not So Bad
By Platinum60 on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I bought my van used a few years ago but it has been pretty reliable. I did have to have the master computer chip replaced though, because of the wipers (which cost about $390 with labor)Other than that it has just had to have normal maint. like tires, oil change etc.

No Way!
By Pitts on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We purchased the caravan new in 1996 and we will NEVER buy another Dodge again. From the start we had problems with the transmission (twice rebuilt), constant brake problems, AC (twice), radiator problems and so many other smaller brake downs - I can't name them all. We even had an extended warranty, but after so many times in the shop, it's our time lost and loss of confidence in this vehicle that was suppose to be dependable that we will choose to never buy Dodge again.