Used 1996 Dodge Caravan Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

R.I.P. Beastie
By rstlne

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I was surprised at the number of bad reviews on here. Granted, this vehicle isn't perfect, but it is a tank. My dad hit a deer at 45 mph head on, and she didn't even need repairs. A/C hasn't worked since 2004 and you had to kick under the glove compartment to turn on the heater but it ran. Forever. I bought it with a bad tranny, replaced it, and have needed only oil changes all the way up until her death at 283,841. It might not be the prettiest, sportiest, or most exciting car on the road but it goes. Forever.

Favorite Features

Can take a licking and keep on ticking like nobody's business

Worst Trade Ever
By rgb

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

My brother, mother and I have all driven this thing at one point and we all hate it. The repairs done to this thing are too numerous to post. The transmission went out on it for a second time and I resolved never to buy another Dodge. I won't even look at things made by or associated with that company. When I see anything made by them no matter how cool,new and shiny I think about how this van was a leper in disguise. Everything thing on this van broke: gauges, hub assembly, wiper motor, electronics. Even the paint job was toast. There is truth behind all of those Dodge jokes on Married with Children. My Dad's a mechanic and even with free labor this rust bucket wasn't worth it.

Favorite Features

Due to its size it will be fun to beat mercilessly with a sledge hammer. My entire family and my boyfriend hate this van.

Suggested Improvements

This van should have included a time machine to allow owners to go back in time and not purchase this vehicle. They would literally have to set all of the plans on fire and start over. Blind monkeys could have designed a better car.

Keeps on going by Dadman
By B Clark

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used in 1999 with 108,000 miles on it. It now has 210,000 miles on the same 3.0 V6 engine. It now smoke some at startup (worn valve guide seals) but Maxlife Valvoline oil has stopped that. The engine is from Mistubishi and it is as strong as when I got it. No electrical problems, great exhaust system, suspension is wearing, durable interior and great to drive. Now for the trans and a/c. Tranny was rebuilt at 120,000 miles for $1800. Ask for a upgraded rebuild kit not a factory kit. Worth the money. Torque converter started acting up at 190,000.A/C new compressor installed at purchase. The system needs recharging every year. Invest in own recharge kit (cheap).

Favorite Features

Best mini on the market for american company. Love to drive. Love tinted glass. I wish I had dual siders and power rear vents.

Suggested Improvements

Plan on rebuilding a transmission and A/C service. Buy cheap and rebuild your transmission then you know what you've got.

Not so bad
By M Gulley

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle used 2 yrs. ago at 68,000 miles. Living in Michigan, I have driven my van to Florida and California and back. It has been very reliable I would say. I am currently at 117,000+.I have had a problem things breaking in the inside of vehicle, like cupholder cover and other little plastic parts. Also recently the A/C went out. I also just replaced the radiator. Otherwise I've been o.k with the Caravan.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, drives nice, and it's roomy

Suggested Improvements

The A/C leaves much to be desired. Inside parts could be a little bit sturdier.

Mechanical Challenges
By dcbeckster

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

While the Dodge Caravan is a very popular vehicle the experience by many has been less than adequate. The same problem seems to frequently appear at about 100K miles. The first is usually with the air conditioning not functioning correctly. Equally, the automatic transmission many times will need major repairs. This seems to be fairly consistent with this model.

Favorite Features

Ample passenger space, easily removed benches, and a large cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Improved integrity with the transmission and air conditioning unit.