Used 1996 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Most Helpful|
Best vehicle I've Owned
By etta

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

Very dependable; comfortable on long distance trips w/great mileage; superb family taxi, too.

Favorite Features

Roomy; good gas mileage, easily cleaned

Suggested Improvements

rear heater/ac

Mistake!
By VTmom

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

We bought our 96 Caravan new. It was a great van UNTIL it hit 50,000 miles and the warranty expired. Then everything that can go wrong with a vehicle has gone wrong. I am afraid to drive it because it is so unreliable. After having it die on my 3 times (once when I was over 8 months pregnant), I refuse to drive this thing. Daimler chrysler could not care less. The warranty has expired so we are on our own. We have now put so much money into the van we can't afford to get rid of it. We can't stop kicking ourselves for keeping it though. We will NEVER own another Dodge vehicle.

Favorite Features

It is roomy and I like how it drives when it is actually running.

Suggested Improvements

Make a reliable product that the company is willing to stand behind!

Bad Choice
By Mike R.

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

About the only good things about this vehicle are the wheels and stereo, which I purchased separately. Too many things to mention that have gone wrong, but I'll try. Transmission, W.S. wipers, suspension, belt tensioner, air bag module, air conditioning and 3 recalls. No more Chrysler products for me.

Favorite Features

Power ,size and visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Reliabilty and quality.

Worst Trade Ever
By rgb

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

My brother, mother and I have all driven this thing at one point and we all hate it. The repairs done to this thing are too numerous to post. The transmission went out on it for a second time and I resolved never to buy another Dodge. I won't even look at things made by or associated with that company. When I see anything made by them no matter how cool,new and shiny I think about how this van was a leper in disguise. Everything thing on this van broke: gauges, hub assembly, wiper motor, electronics. Even the paint job was toast. There is truth behind all of those Dodge jokes on Married with Children. My Dad's a mechanic and even with free labor this rust bucket wasn't worth it.

Favorite Features

Due to its size it will be fun to beat mercilessly with a sledge hammer. My entire family and my boyfriend hate this van.

Suggested Improvements

This van should have included a time machine to allow owners to go back in time and not purchase this vehicle. They would literally have to set all of the plans on fire and start over. Blind monkeys could have designed a better car.

I plan to quit this trade name!
By King, P

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I have spent too much money on this van, I now need to pay $2400 for a new transmission that I have complained about for a year!

Favorite Features

Can see other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Fix it to be more reliable!!!!!!!!!!!