1996 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
R.I.P. Beastie
By rstlne on 06/19/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I was surprised at the number of bad reviews on here. Granted, this vehicle isn't perfect, but it is a tank. My dad hit a deer at 45 mph head on, and she didn't even need repairs. A/C hasn't worked since 2004 and you had to kick under the glove compartment to turn on the heater but it ran. Forever. I bought it with a bad tranny, replaced it, and have needed only oil changes all the way up until her death at 283,841. It might not be the prettiest, sportiest, or most exciting car on the road but it goes. Forever.

Loved this minivan
By Suzie on 01/22/10 17:34 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

My uncle loved his 1996 Dodge Caravan and gave it to me when he bought a brand new one the year before last. This minivan has been great. It drives itself and has been as reliable as any older car would be. I regularly got 27 mpg and the seats are really comfortable. This car was old enough to have personality, but if you don't mind windsheild wipers turning themselves on now and again and the loud knocking noise coming from the glove box, then this could be the car for you. Ours, unfortunately, just hit the end of it's road. But while I was reading reviews about new vans, I thought I'd write a good review for our old one.

1996 ES Minivan
By J. Johnson on 01/20/10 17:52 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

Purchased used in 1998 with 79,000 miles. Owned for 12+ years with only routine maintenance problems. Put snow tires on front ever winter with no problem handling in snow up to 8 inches deep. 3.8 L V6 engine has lots of oomph if needed to pass cars on highway. Love the cruising comfort with 4 captains seats. Just completed a round trip from MA to NC with no complaints. Averaged 23 mpg. Used around town also with 3rd row seat removed for extra cargo storage. Can fit up to 10 foot long pieces of lumber inside if needed. Enjoy the trip computer with built in compass.

Worst Trade Ever
By rgb on 10/13/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

My brother, mother and I have all driven this thing at one point and we all hate it. The repairs done to this thing are too numerous to post. The transmission went out on it for a second time and I resolved never to buy another Dodge. I won't even look at things made by or associated with that company. When I see anything made by them no matter how cool,new and shiny I think about how this van was a leper in disguise. Everything thing on this van broke: gauges, hub assembly, wiper motor, electronics. Even the paint job was toast. There is truth behind all of those Dodge jokes on Married with Children. My Dad's a mechanic and even with free labor this rust bucket wasn't worth it.

Caravan 3.8L LE/ES 4-dr has been great
By michaelrh on 06/27/09 22:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

Original owner, second mini-van. Short wheelbase w/3.8L engine can be a hot rod (at the expense of gas mileage.) Very comfortable for long drives, excellent visibility. Exterior styling is timeless -- I still think it is an attractive design 13 years later! One $200 transmission problem at 70,000 miles, but the car has not been particularly expensive to maintain.

Keeps on going by Dadman
By B Clark on 02/04/07 05:52 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used in 1999 with 108,000 miles on it. It now has 210,000 miles on the same 3.0 V6 engine. It now smoke some at startup (worn valve guide seals) but Maxlife Valvoline oil has stopped that. The engine is from Mistubishi and it is as strong as when I got it. No electrical problems, great exhaust system, suspension is wearing, durable interior and great to drive. Now for the trans and a/c. Tranny was rebuilt at 120,000 miles for $1800. Ask for a upgraded rebuild kit not a factory kit. Worth the money. Torque converter started acting up at 190,000.A/C new compressor installed at purchase. The system needs recharging every year. Invest in own recharge kit (cheap).

Grand Caravan- Good design, poor quality
By stofman on 04/16/06 18:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

Bought this van new. Pretty much one problem every time we drive it! Great design, but very very poor build quality! So far, the tranny went out at 60,000, A/C at 62,000, coolant multiple times, etc etc. It's been in the shop more than it has been on the road. Would NOT recommend anyone buy this van!!

Not so bad
By M Gulley on 09/21/05 01:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle used 2 yrs. ago at 68,000 miles. Living in Michigan, I have driven my van to Florida and California and back. It has been very reliable I would say. I am currently at 117,000+.I have had a problem things breaking in the inside of vehicle, like cupholder cover and other little plastic parts. Also recently the A/C went out. I also just replaced the radiator. Otherwise I've been o.k with the Caravan.

Bad Choice
By Mike R. on 03/26/05 13:27 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

About the only good things about this vehicle are the wheels and stereo, which I purchased separately. Too many things to mention that have gone wrong, but I'll try. Transmission, W.S. wipers, suspension, belt tensioner, air bag module, air conditioning and 3 recalls. No more Chrysler products for me.

Good Idea, poor execution
By JAZZ1151 on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

The design is very innovative, however the quality and reliability left a lot to be desired. We purchased a 7 year 100k mile Dodge warranty and used it. Multiple major problems with the transmission (4) including a complete replacement, cooling system, A/C (5) and a belt tenioner that fails like clockwork every 20K miles since new. Many more less critical problems too numerous to mention here. Except for being beat to death with $50 warranty deductables after 36k miles long warranty enabled us to keep the car longer than we would have if we were footing the bills.