Used 1995 Dodge Caravan SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1995 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Just keeps on rolling
By jrpurcel

1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I have owned this van for the past two years and it just keeps on rolling. The transmission is as smooth as new and the engine cranks everytime. The air blows cold and it is one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I bought it with 113000 miles on it and at 140000 it is just ticking along. I said I was going to drive it until the wheels fell off. They may never do that.

Favorite Features

Roomy

Suggested Improvements

All my suggested improvements have been incorporated in the new vans. I Wish I could afford one.

'95 Dodge caravan
By Bill Adams

1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Great van... very reliable, good fuel economy... 3.0 engine has been great. Trans. had a few problems early on however was taken care of by dealership. Van has only been back once to the dealer.. Changed oil every 3,000 and does not burn oil between changes. Exterior is in like new condition.. the champagne color is OK.. not particularly my first choice however in view of whats available.. it's fine. Liked it enough to buy another. have owned 3 so far.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable and at exactly the right height for easy access. Recommend it highly for anyone who has a bad back. Visibility is good since you're sitting high.

Suggested Improvements

Electric locks are a bit of a pain... but they are on most cars, in my opinion.

Could be better re:tranny/materials
By Space1999!

1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Our Caravan has been very reliable outside of that much-too-common transmission failure. Fortunately ours only required new seals and internal parts and we "convinced" Chrysler to pick up 1/2 the $2000 cost. It is a real shame that Chrysler didn't resolve this problem MUCH earlier as it seems to be a problem right up to 2001 models. It must be noted that many other companies have tranny problems in their mini-vans including Honda, Ford and that Toyota has severe engine sludging and failure issues. Fortunately our paint, air conditioning and most features have been very good and had minimal problems.

Favorite Features

The 3.3l engine is excellent... good power with 160 horses and decent mileage (25-29 mpg before the tranny failure, now 20-26 mpg), nice layout and interior and a safe, secure driving vehicle even in high winds. Love the driving position and control layouts.

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics too hard and fragile. Material quality of seats and carpeting is poor. Chrysler SHOULD bring back "classic" Caravan design from 1995 install dependable transmission, better ride quality materials and paint. Ours is 500 pounds lighter and nearly same interior space.

Never Again
By Mr. Transmission

1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We love the spacious interior for a mini van. This was our second mini van. Our first was a 1987 and went through 3 transmissions. We were told that the transmission problem is no longer a problem with newer vans so we took another chance. We were on our way back from a fishing trip to Canada and the transmission went out 500 miles from home. 3 days and $1950 later, we were home. We now have 150,000 miles and the transmission is again starting to slip at times. Thinking about a Honda or Toyota with good track records.

Favorite Features

Has a lot of room.

Suggested Improvements

Tell the truth about vehicle problems. Invest in a transmission that lasts longer than 100,000 miles.