1994 Dodge Caravan Consumer Review: Love this car!

1994 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Review

Love this car!
By jeffrm on

1994 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I've put 230,000 miles on this van since I bought it new. It's been fantastic. As a geophysicist I carry lots of heavy equipment in place of the middle seat. I can easily work at a small desk I velcroed in. It has been super reliable. The only repairs have been the usual tranny problem, a water pump and starter (rebuilt). I still prefer driving it over our newer Outback wagon. I like sitting jp higher than in a regiular car. It's a good size, too. Our dogs like it. Canoes and sheets of plywood fit on the roof.

This car was bought in NH and now spends time in BC now and then. Chains can't be used on it, so I have Spyder-Spikes. With them the car will climb a tree if necessary. It seems very tough. I was side-swiped once and only needed minor body work done. Then once I rammed a Subaru pretty hard. No damage to me!

I cannot really complain about anything. In 18+ years it has never left me stranded (knock wood). It is old-fashioned by today's newer models but it has served me well and I will be sad when it's gone. I guess now that gas costs so much I wish it got better all around mileage. I drive it very gently since I really want it to outlast my friends 94 Volvo wagon (270K). Not sure it'll make it though. It definitely is a better driving car than his, and has needed much less work, but he babies his car and I just use mine as I would any car.