Used 1994 Dodge Caravan Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Old Faithful
By Petworthian

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van on eBay in 2003. It had 73,000 miles on it, and I bought it thinking I'd use it to take the dog to the park, make Home Depot Runs, and take stuff to the dump. I ended up driving it across the country twice and on numerous vacation trips. The 2.5L 4-cylinder is plenty peppy (my van is a five-speed stick) and can return 30 MPG on a long road trip. Now has 105,000 miles and aside from maintenance items I've only had to replace the starter and the clutch and recharge the A/C. This thing is as rugged (and simple) as an anvil, is comfortable, gives decent performance, can haul lots of stuff, and gets decent gas mileage. I intend to drive it for another 10 years.

Five-speed manual transmission, powerful A/C, comfortable front seats

None

reliable because of stick shift
By shimmy4

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I still have one of the very rare stick-shift Caravans, discontinued in the mid-90s. So I never had the tranny problems most other owners had. Also, the paint peeling problem was fixed just prior to the 94 models, so, although there's some paint deterioration (hood and roof), no peeling after 180,000 miles. The 2.5 4cyl engine has been very reliable, the only problem being an ongoing (but not major) oil leak. A/C went out a few years ago, not worth fixing. Now trying to cope with fixing wheel bearings. They don't make the rear hubs anymore, so it's uncertain how much longer this van will be on the road. Too bad they don't go back and do this configuration again. Stick-shift vans rock!

Stick-shift; uncomplicated engine.

Offer stick-shift vans again!

so-so
By ssb

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

transmissions (2) a/C (2) axel (1) other moderate repairs also needs new gaskets and seals 138,000

Goodbye, Old Friend
By MinnesotaBob

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

This was a great family car. Comfortable on long trips, yet nimble enough to drive around town. It sure came in handy, too, for those couple times a year when I went to the lumber yard, or my wife went to a garage sale. It treated us pretty well except for two cracked heads ($1600 each), one at 65K, and another at 103K. Just came back from donating it to a place that'll fix it up and give it to a needy person. Even with that major engine problem, there's more right with it than wrong. We thought about buying another minivan, but since our kids are pretty much grown now, we opted for a sedan instead.

Sit up high--good visibility, interior space, pretty comfortable for a "truck". This was the most basic version of this vehicle--I liked the fact that I could fix many things myself.

Make an engine that doesn't crack heads every 50 or 60 thousand miles.

Base Caravan
By Rhonda Diercks

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I have been extremely happy with the performance of this vehicle. I did have to have the transmission replaced at 69,000 (which is common for this vehicle), however the dealership was very accommodating. Also at 69,000 miles, I had to have several engine oil leaks repaired. Again, under warranty, the dealership replaced all seals and gaskets. This vehicle is maintained with regular oil changes and maintenance, and to this day, even with 105,000 miles, I am extremely comfortable taking long extended trips in this vehicle.

Ability to turn off all interior lights manually so that the doors may be left open without fear of the battery going dead.

This vehicle could use a better, more durable transmission.