Used 1994 Dodge Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Love this car!
By jeffrm

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I've put 230,000 miles on this van since I bought it new. It's been fantastic. As a geophysicist I carry lots of heavy equipment in place of the middle seat. I can easily work at a small desk I velcroed in. It has been super reliable. The only repairs have been the usual tranny problem, a water pump and starter (rebuilt). I still prefer driving it over our newer Outback wagon. I like sitting jp higher than in a regiular car. It's a good size, too. Our dogs like it. Canoes and sheets of plywood fit on the roof.

This car was bought in NH and now spends time in BC now and then. Chains can't be used on it, so I have Spyder-Spikes. With them the car will climb a tree if necessary. It seems very tough. I was side-swiped once and only needed minor body work done. Then once I rammed a Subaru pretty hard. No damage to me!

I cannot really complain about anything. In 18+ years it has never left me stranded (knock wood). It is old-fashioned by today's newer models but it has served me well and I will be sad when it's gone. I guess now that gas costs so much I wish it got better all around mileage. I drive it very gently since I really want it to outlast my friends 94 Volvo wagon (270K). Not sure it'll make it though. It definitely is a better driving car than his, and has needed much less work, but he babies his car and I just use mine as I would any car.

Good Choice
By wt.pm

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This is the 5th Caravan/Voyager I have owned, all but the one with the 3.0 engine have been excellent vehicles. My first one had the 2.5 4-banger, the rest have had the 3.3, and I have averaged between 190k-300k miles on them. I have back problems, and have not found a vehicle that rides and drives as good around town, or on long trips. I have never had the trans problems associated with the vehicle, but I service my trans, every 75k-100k miles.

Seats, driver position, ride height, interior room, ride quality, handling, rides like a luxury car, handles like a sports car

without rear a/c they are hard to cool in the summer in the south.

Has been very good
By KC

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Caravan SE bought in 1994 with 10k miles from Thrifty Car Rental. Has been a very good car. 3.3 is peppy and fairly economical. Nice and roomy. Not 'sexy' but love the practicality. I don't use the third seat since I usually don't have passengers. Had a starting problem a few times and replaced starter. Air bag light came on but it was just fuse #13. No problems, just regular maintenance. A friend bought a '96 and had many major problems. Strangely, this Caravan has been more reliable than Honda and Toyota of same year/mileage in the family!

I like the body style better than the newer ones. Good, peppy engine. Comfortable to get in and out. Roomy.

Turning radius is bad - turns on a dinner plate instead of a dime! Have to swing as wide as possible when doing a U turn. Heater could be better (I'm in Alaska). Backup lights aren't bright enough, cup holder is too shallow.

Duct tape helps
By still runs

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

the van i have has been fairly reliable with only some minor repairs. nothing to major has broke yet, still waiting for tranny to go, it does slip now and again. very comfortable seating, love the room inside for my kids and dogs. I bought the 94 over a newer 99 design because i really don't like the ext. style or the poorly laid out interior of these vans. I also love the ext appearance with the right package of skirts and rims the van does look some aggressive. Handling sucks but it is a box on wheels after all. fuel eco. is not bad for my 3.0l about 450 to 500 km tank still. Very good passing on the highways and comfy to drive very long distances. still going after 300,000 km. hope for more!

van is great overall.

better trans.

Reliable
By Stevenff

1994 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this van used in 1998 with 65000 miles on it, now has 138000 and it keeps going. Just completed 3000 mile road trip with no problems. It is very comfortable for a small van. Has the 3.3 engine which performs very well. We use it to pull a small utility trailer and it is adequate for the job. It has just been a "good" van, period!

Like the size (small size van), comfortable, well designed. Especiall like its reliability with so many miles on it.

Moot point since Chryser has redesigned it several times. Like the style much better than the new ones. Most new minivans look too much like elongated jelly beans.