1994 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Love this car!
By jeffrm on 01/22/13 22:51 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I've put 230,000 miles on this van since I bought it new. It's been fantastic. As a geophysicist I carry lots of heavy equipment in place of the middle seat. I can easily work at a small desk I velcroed in. It has been super reliable. The only repairs have been the usual tranny problem, a water pump and starter (rebuilt). I still prefer driving it over our newer Outback wagon. I like sitting jp higher than in a regiular car. It's a good size, too. Our dogs like it. Canoes and sheets of plywood fit on the roof.

Old Faithful
By Petworthian on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van on eBay in 2003. It had 73,000 miles on it, and I bought it thinking I'd use it to take the dog to the park, make Home Depot Runs, and take stuff to the dump. I ended up driving it across the country twice and on numerous vacation trips. The 2.5L 4-cylinder is plenty peppy (my van is a five-speed stick) and can return 30 MPG on a long road trip. Now has 105,000 miles and aside from maintenance items I've only had to replace the starter and the clutch and recharge the A/C. This thing is as rugged (and simple) as an anvil, is comfortable, gives decent performance, can haul lots of stuff, and gets decent gas mileage. I intend to drive it for another 10 years.

Good Choice
By wt.pm on 06/06/10 05:20 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This is the 5th Caravan/Voyager I have owned, all but the one with the 3.0 engine have been excellent vehicles. My first one had the 2.5 4-banger, the rest have had the 3.3, and I have averaged between 190k-300k miles on them. I have back problems, and have not found a vehicle that rides and drives as good around town, or on long trips. I have never had the trans problems associated with the vehicle, but I service my trans, every 75k-100k miles.

All Around Performer
By Eric on 05/08/10 20:35 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased from private party with 97K miles. Now has 233K miles and still running strong and body still solid. 3.3L engine has plenty of power to pull my 16' boat. Hauls kids, plywood and sofas with comfort and ease. Can't say enough great things about it. The new 2010 models aren't as nice as this one. It will surely be missed when it comes time to part with it.

dodge tough
By ryan newmen on 02/24/10 18:28 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

just a really fun car i like it.....

Has been very good
By KC on 10/27/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Caravan SE bought in 1994 with 10k miles from Thrifty Car Rental. Has been a very good car. 3.3 is peppy and fairly economical. Nice and roomy. Not 'sexy' but love the practicality. I don't use the third seat since I usually don't have passengers. Had a starting problem a few times and replaced starter. Air bag light came on but it was just fuse #13. No problems, just regular maintenance. A friend bought a '96 and had many major problems. Strangely, this Caravan has been more reliable than Honda and Toyota of same year/mileage in the family!

reliable because of stick shift
By shimmy4 on 07/24/09 06:56 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I still have one of the very rare stick-shift Caravans, discontinued in the mid-90s. So I never had the tranny problems most other owners had. Also, the paint peeling problem was fixed just prior to the 94 models, so, although there's some paint deterioration (hood and roof), no peeling after 180,000 miles. The 2.5 4cyl engine has been very reliable, the only problem being an ongoing (but not major) oil leak. A/C went out a few years ago, not worth fixing. Now trying to cope with fixing wheel bearings. They don't make the rear hubs anymore, so it's uncertain how much longer this van will be on the road. Too bad they don't go back and do this configuration again. Stick-shift vans rock!

Best (only) van I ever owned
By Stephen James on 10/19/08 09:58 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

Had been keeping my eye out for transportation and found this on the lot of a local Dodge dealer - bought it for 1400 less than their asking price. It doesn't leak nor burn oil - between every 3k miles. Excellent power and a good cruiser. I do most of my driving around town on the freeway and consistently get 22 mpg! I think that's great for a Grand Caravan. Took a long weekend trip last spring and the speed limits are 80 mph in west Texas - also climbed a few mountains and still got 25 mpg on that trip. I knew of the reliability issues; but found the positive recommendations out numbered the negatives. Glad I went with my gut feelings about the van.

Duct tape helps
By still runs on 03/16/08 12:15 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

the van i have has been fairly reliable with only some minor repairs. nothing to major has broke yet, still waiting for tranny to go, it does slip now and again. very comfortable seating, love the room inside for my kids and dogs. I bought the 94 over a newer 99 design because i really don't like the ext. style or the poorly laid out interior of these vans. I also love the ext appearance with the right package of skirts and rims the van does look some aggressive. Handling sucks but it is a box on wheels after all. fuel eco. is not bad for my 3.0l about 450 to 500 km tank still. Very good passing on the highways and comfy to drive very long distances. still going after 300,000 km. hope for more!

Why change?
By Joe on 11/15/07 13:23 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

I purchased this van with 53,255 miles & B-4 the 7 yr/70K was up, transmission failed. Our local dealer only offered a factory rebuilt, so I decided to have Aamco repair it & pay for repair myself, + get their "life time warrenty" as my experience with Chrysler rebuilts was not good. No more problems. This is a handi-cap van & does not handle in winds as good as my previous non-handicap van, but with the 3.8 it runs out great. I've decided to have it re-painted, upgrade suspension, brakes & just keep driving it.