Used 1993 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Not bad for a 16 year run
By Alex

1993 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Generally, this car has been a trooper. I got her from my parents in December of 2001, they bought her almost brand new as a program car in 1993. She took us on several 200+ mile trips to visit family, a pretty lengthy journey to Disneyworld, an even lengthier trip to Kentucky - and this was all mostly during her first 60,000. After that point, as I've heard was common with this particular model, the transmission gave out and we had to have a new one dropped in. Since owning it, I've had to have a new compressor installed, and she's having trouble with oil consumption and struts. But for her age, the fact she's still running is quite impressive.

Favorite Features

Lots of space. The removable third seat was nice, although getting it in and out is such a pain (this was before the days of stow and go, though). A/C will freeze your ears off, and in sweltering Southern summers, that's a very good thing.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge in general could be a great contender if they'd simply work harder on fuel economy and build quality. There's just no reason an automatic transmission should randomly give out at 60,000 (nor have all the necessary mounts in place, which our first tranny didn't).

Great Beater & Mobile Tool Box
By mike

1993 Dodge Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Bought this van for handyman business. It has been a reliable mobile tool box since the purchase. Van now has 160+K Miles. It burns oil, but still hauls plywood and lumber w/out the cost of a V8 pick up.

Favorite Features

spacious cargo area, gas mileage/cargo ratio

Suggested Improvements

transmission

All good except the transmission
By Lance

1993 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

My van has the 3.3 litre V6 engine with the 4 speed trans. with overdive. It's not a good tranny as you've read here. The rebuilder said it's similar to unit fitted in the old Dodge Omni and Horizon compacts from the 80's. Guess they had lots of spares. You can expect to replace it about every 40 000 miles. The engine is very good actually, I never had much trouble with it other than a head gasket being replaced once. The ABS system failed at around 150000 miles and it was under warranty for life, low cost repair.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, easy to drive, looks good. My wife loved it despite problems with the tranny. The engine has been very reliable and performed well. All the other engineering has been very good including the plastic mouldings holding out.

Suggested Improvements

Beef up the tranny, don't carry 7 people in it as rated,

A great vehicle - I hate to let it go!
By Roger

1993 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

What a great vehicle. I bought in '98 with about 45,000 miles and "commuted" from LA to Vancouver - up to 10 times a year! 2 long days of driving. I am tall, lowered the driver's seat 2 inches, took out the back seats and made a comfortable, almost queen size bed, good for a "micro motor home". Good fuel economy with the 3L engine. The a/c pump is about all I've had trouble with. Engine and tranny are great, after 13 years. Change brakes and tires, oil & tranny fluid - that's it. Thanks, Chrysler, for a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy, Easy to work on, Easy to drive, great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

hmmm- the 2003 looks like a nice replacement. Not sure about all the power locks and windows tho.

Check for blowby and trans problems
By cgijobs

1993 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

At 70,000 miles it started leaking oil; was told the problem was blowby, which can only be fixed by replacing engine (I have been told by more than one mechanic that this is fairly common for Caravans like mine). I've been able to live with the oil leak, but now at 133,000 miles the transmission is going out. Talking with other caravan owners, transmission problems are very common. Before buying an older Caravan I would make sure to have a mechanic check out the transmission carefully.

Favorite Features

All in all it's been a good car and pretty reliable.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the transmission had been designed better.