1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Cargo minivan
By Peachydad on 02/08/10 08:47 AM (PST)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Cargo Minivan

Bought it used from truck dealer, cargo minivan with 3.0 l v-6, and more reliable 3 speed transmission. Ugly but generally reliable. Not that good of gas mileage for such a small van, but useful for small catering business. Almost zero resale value when traded for full size pickup, given the reputation of 4 speed trannies on these vehicles. Had an earlier 3.0 l v-6 passenger van with 4 speed and was rebuilt or repaired three times under warranty. Would not purchase Chrysler product again after that lemon, but this cargo van was cheap and didn't have that terrible trans.

Not that many issues
By Alex on 08/06/08 23:09 PM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Easy to maintain Lasted 252,000 miles and still is going. Never was rebuilt. Comfortable seating, plenty of room. A great car, considering it's sat for over 4 years, and is now going to be my daily driver.

high maintenance
By Blowngasket on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

While it is a practical vehicle, there are some design flaws that have proven costly. I've had multiple blown head gaskets (costly repair) that apparently are the result of incompatible metals used in the pistons and the cylinders. There were numerous other repairs, but the heag gasket is the back breaker. I would not recommend this vehicle or any Dodge van from the 1990's.

Fairly Good Van
By lbritain on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Bought it brand new in 1992 - been through 3 fuel pumps, 1 oxygenator thing; kept losing power (took 7 years to find this problem) 1 water pump and numerous smaller things. It's been pretty reliable for 12 years and 95000 miles. It squeals all the time while running causing considerable embarrassment at lights - transmission is starting to slip.

Reliable
By dtorma on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

We bought this vehicle from a friend who loved it and was getting a good deal on a newer model Caravan. Very few problems and never left me stranded. Lots of seating for our 3 young kids (and their friends) although very cramped in the back for adults.

GET THE 4 CYLINDER!!!
By LP on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

this is a very reliable van with cold a/c and even though it's not very quick, it is very reliable. 150,000 miles and the 2.5 liter 4 cyl. engine runs like a top. I've heard the 6 cyl. is plagued with problems!

Bad Tranny
By Walnut Willie on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

These Vans are "OK" but thats about all you can say for them. The tranny failed at 85000 and I understand this is common with all Caravans. 3.3 engine has used oil from the start too. Recently went shopping for a new van but Dodge has them priced too high considering the reliability. So we test drove a Honda Odyssey and fell in love with it. Bought it on the spot . We love this thing , it is a luxury van. Made in USA too and you cant say that about Dodge anymore. If your shopping for a minivan try an Odyssey.

Dodge Caravan 1992
By vanman on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I have owned Toyota's & Honda's & people look at me funny when I tell them that the most reliable car I have ever owned was a Dodge Caravan. This vehicle while not the sexiest or comfortable vehicle has always performed for me & it has been extremely practicle in hauling kids, adults, refrigerators-you name it.I have had alot less repair trouble with this vehicle & the Dodge waranty was so good I had very little expense. Good Car.

"Good Van"
By jacturn on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Dodge Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Although I am the third owner of this van, I am truly satisfied with the performance etc that I have received over the 3 years I have had it. Prior to my being the owner, my mother drove this van for seven years without any major problems.