1991 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
I love my Caravan!
By AHansen on 12/20/06 12:25 PM (PST)

1991 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This van is an allround functional and reliable vehicle that doesn't look half bad. I wish they still made a model in this body configuration. The short and boxy design makes it easy to park and roomy for cargo. It's a great value as a used vehicle and parts are readily available. I live in Mexico where the roads are rough and rules are ignored. This van gives me confidence on the road and its proven to be easy to maintain, extremely practical, and resistant. I love using it for camping because I can fit a ton of gear plus friends in the van and a queen sized inflatable mattress fits perfectly in the back (with the seats out) for secure sleeping.

300K and still going ...
By Min on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

i bought mine new in 1991 ... 3.0 V6. many problems (replaced tranny twice, engine gasket, radiator twice, a/c never seemed to work). however it is nearing 300K but is still going. great shape although paint is in bad shape.

Starts pretty, ends ugly
By markej on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We purchased this van with the hopes of having a good quality vehicle that would last many years. We've made it last many years, but at the expense of replacing the transmission (twice), the water pump, the alternator, the radiator and other items as well. The interior is falling apart, the paint is peeling off and the electrical has given us fits. After the water pump failed a second time, we've given up and sent it off to retirement. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Never again with a Dodge minvan.

Okie Dokie no Smokie
By Chasjaz on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

134K miles and it's been pretty much bullet proof. 3.0 L engine leaks oil like crazy (doesn't burn it) but just keep it topped off. Wife loves to drive it. Decent gas mileage, plenty of power.

After 120K miles My Caravan doing great!
By Happy inHawaii on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Not all 91 caravans bad. I got an SE w/ 3 speed auto w/ 3.0 liter mitsubishi engine. 4 spd caravans had a greater than 20% risk - problems. Early on - some electrical problems. Paint is doing well, wax twice a year. Last year I replaced my radiator , the distributor, as well as my muffler 2 years ago. Transmission original. MPG is 23 mostly highway at 55-60 mph. Air conditioning original and doing well. I changed spark plugs a wires twice. Throttle body adjustment once a year and have rebuilt/replaced brakes/pads twice. There have been numerous recalls but most were small . Today performancee same as at 40,000 miles. One squeak from the left mid rear panel.

Don't make the same mistake!
By johnnymac on 02/04/02 15:51 PM (PST)

1991 Dodge Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Stay away from these vehicles. 2 known issues - after around 80,000 miles a problem with the valve guides develops requiring the engine to be rebuilt. Next time you're at a stop light near a Chrysler vehicle, watch for a puff of smoke as the vehicle takes off. The paint will come off in sheets on some vehicles due to the use of an inferior primer called Uniprime that breaks down from UV rays. If you pay attention, you'll see a lot of Chrysler white vans with paint peeling in spots.