Used 1991 Dodge Caravan SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

1991 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

I love my Caravan!
By AHansen

1991 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This van is an allround functional and reliable vehicle that doesn't look half bad. I wish they still made a model in this body configuration. The short and boxy design makes it easy to park and roomy for cargo. It's a great value as a used vehicle and parts are readily available. I live in Mexico where the roads are rough and rules are ignored. This van gives me confidence on the road and its proven to be easy to maintain, extremely practical, and resistant. I love using it for camping because I can fit a ton of gear plus friends in the van and a queen sized inflatable mattress fits perfectly in the back (with the seats out) for secure sleeping.

Favorite Features

Spacious, flexible interior. Excellent field of view and driving position.

Suggested Improvements

More safety features, better cup holders, better headlights, and better fuel economy.

300K and still going ...
By Min

1991 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

i bought mine new in 1991 ... 3.0 V6. many problems (replaced tranny twice, engine gasket, radiator twice, a/c never seemed to work). however it is nearing 300K but is still going. great shape although paint is in bad shape.

Favorite Features

roll down windows

Suggested Improvements

cant improve it 12 years later ... derfz

Starts pretty, ends ugly
By markej

1991 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We purchased this van with the hopes of having a good quality vehicle that would last many years. We've made it last many years, but at the expense of replacing the transmission (twice), the water pump, the alternator, the radiator and other items as well. The interior is falling apart, the paint is peeling off and the electrical has given us fits. After the water pump failed a second time, we've given up and sent it off to retirement. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Never again with a Dodge minvan.

Favorite Features

LOTS of interior space

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability, better paint, better attention to car building!

Okie Dokie no Smokie
By Chasjaz

1991 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

134K miles and it's been pretty much bullet proof. 3.0 L engine leaks oil like crazy (doesn't burn it) but just keep it topped off. Wife loves to drive it. Decent gas mileage, plenty of power.

Favorite Features

Good visibility. Plenty of cargo space. Strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Lousy paint peeled from day one. Ride while smooth is noisy.

After 120K miles My Caravan doing great!
By Happy inHawaii

1991 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Not all 91 caravans bad. I got an SE w/ 3 speed auto w/ 3.0 liter mitsubishi engine. 4 spd caravans had a greater than 20% risk - problems. Early on - some electrical problems. Paint is doing well, wax twice a year. Last year I replaced my radiator , the distributor, as well as my muffler 2 years ago. Transmission original. MPG is 23 mostly highway at 55-60 mph. Air conditioning original and doing well. I changed spark plugs a wires twice. Throttle body adjustment once a year and have rebuilt/replaced brakes/pads twice. There have been numerous recalls but most were small . Today performancee same as at 40,000 miles. One squeak from the left mid rear panel.

Suggested Improvements

Less electrical problems would have been nice but lately I don't have any electrical problems. Better tires helps with handling and traction. I have 205/70R14 vs 195/65R14 Originals. Polk Ex speakers added front and rear.