Used 1990 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Caravan 3.0
By Mike

1990 Dodge Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

we have had this for about 2 years and ran it to death. it has at least one bad valve seal and smokes like crazy, but will not quit and we just keep dumpin the oil in it. rides like a Cadillac and actually runs really well. It has lots of power for what it is. it has been run out of oil more than enough times, but it hasn't died yet. doesn't seem to be rusting out very badly at all with our Pa weather and salt on the roads.

Favorite Features

cannot be killed.

Suggested Improvements

none

The original is still the best.
By Vince

1990 Dodge Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

We don't drive this vehicle except for church and on longer trips. It is now sixteen years old, and I expect that we could very well keep it until it can wear antique tags. I have been through many other vehicles since we bought the Caravan, and none of them have been such a pleasure to drive in a relaxed manner. No it is not a race vehicle, but with the 3.3, getting on the highway even at sixteen going on seventeen model years old, it still can merge onto highways without hesitation or causing others to slow down. I wouldn't trade it for a friend's Honda minivan even if he threw in an extra $5000.

Favorite Features

Power everything! Seats are extremely comfortable, especially the driver's station with the premium Alpine sound package.

Suggested Improvements

Considering the age, I shouldn't complain, but the trim around the woodgrain sides is losing some of its clear coat.

Reliable!
By avidvacationer

1990 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

We are the second owners of our Caravan, and have loved it since the day we got it. Our family was embarking on our first long vacation and left the day after we bought it, crossing our fingers it would hold up alright. Boy has it ever! It has gone up almost every mountain range without major problem, accompanying us on many ventures. We had the transmission replaced at about 50,000miles, but haven't had to do anything else major since, although minor problems that come along with any older, high mile vehicle pop up. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. 15 years old and 150,000 miles later, it's still going strong. We love this van!

Favorite Features

Reliabilty, definitely, is this vehicle's main selling point. (Plus, the V6 engine still has a lot of kick in it even though it's a minivan!)

Suggested Improvements

Engine runs loudly, and back door hatch is very squeaky (we have yet to find out a way to correct this problem).

Versatile, With Retro Style!
By TrashTsar

1990 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I am the original owner of a 1990 Dodge Caravan with the 3.0 V6 engine. The car has 151,000 miles on it and has been reliable. The original 3.0 liter engines had bad valve stem seals that caused me to replace it with a factory rebuilt engine at 95,000 miles. The engine is far superior to the original and is a strong puller. Avoid the 4 speed transmission sold with the long wheelbase vans. I got the simple, 3 speed trans and it has given me no trouble. Starter, air conditioner, exhaust, and most other systems have had no repairs. With the seats out I haul lumber, furniture--you name it. With the seats in, I haul a soccer team or the family plus others.

Favorite Features

Stong pulling v6 engine, high seating position for a good view of the road, comfy ride, classic lines. Haul people or cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Getting to the rear spark plugs on the V6 is difficult. Pay someone to do a plug replacement for you.

4cyl Turbo finally bites the dust @206k
By Duncan

1990 Dodge Caravan SE Turbo 3dr Minivan

Bought this 4-banger turbo van for $2200 at an action in TX. Put 140k mi on it. Changed the oil every 4k; did several brake jobs; had the trany rebuilt once. Got my money's worth. Finally, the head gasket blew at 206k mi. Who said these turbos are unreliable? Should I rebuild it?

Favorite Features

V-6 performance out of a 4-Banger