Used 2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Caliber - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:

Great car for the money
By RW

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Drove a couple when test riding, along with some other vehicles in the price range. Read some reviews about low power so I was a little concerned but not much. Car is fine. Drives great. If you like the look and the price go ahead and get it. Bought this car for the wife, in town driving with a 20 minute commute to work. Surprised she liked it. It was her call. Turned in a 2000 Honda Accord that we drove to its death.

Favorite Features

Sits high almost like an SUV. Lighted cup holders are cool. Looks muscular aggressive for a wagon/hatchback, like most Dodge's. Roomy back seat.

Suggested Improvements

No issues so far, still new to us.

Worst car ever made
By Jessica

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We haven't had it long but I really wish I would not have bought it. So far it stinks in gas mileage. Gets a total of 20-25 mpg. At first I thought the gas handle was broke and the company promised to fix it in 3 months. We call back and they say 3 more months. It cant move in snow, I got stuck in my drive way but me buick got out just fine. Its broken down with only 6252 miles on it. If you asked me "should I buy this car?" I would say NEVER EVER EVER buy this car.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the built in cooler, but its not worth the trouble OR the price.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing in the WORLD could make me buy this car. Im trading it in tomorrow for a better car.

Horrible rental!!!
By BunyLuvr

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

UGH! I rented this car on a trip recently and chose it because I love small hatchbacks; I drive a 2008 VW Rabbit at home. My college-age son, who couldn't care less about cars, immediately noticed the poor quality interior compared to our Rabbit. "Is this an American car?" he asked - and I doubt he would not say that about a newer Ford. Driving this thing is not pleasurable after driving German cars, either. It's just adequately powered, and the steering is not responsive at all. The car gets points for exterior styling, and I assume it's fairly reliable, but if you're looking for a small hatch, check out the Mazda3, new Golfs, Honda Fit, etc. before saddling yourself with this blah-burger

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is very nice. Ever since the model came out I've liked the looks of it.

Suggested Improvements

Improve cabin materials. They are seriously shoddy compared to other vehicles in this class which I drove when shopping for a small hatchback. Needs more power. Seating very awkward/uncomfortable.

6000 Miles No Problems - Like the Car
By Charles

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the SE trim with automatic CVT and 2.0 motor. I like the car. Best feature is the high seats. Worst feature is the right side mirror. I had to buy a small round mirror to correct the blind spot. On the highway I hit 70-80+ mph and the car handles well. I like the way CVT as it does not shift, it provides constant acceleration. When it was new, it took about 50 miles to start driving well. It just seemed like the car needed a break in period. I did not purchase the lifetime warranty as the power train is covered for life time of the original owner. I did a great deal of research on the problems with the Caliber. It seems the 2007... continued...

Favorite Features

It seems the 2007 year models had a number of issues. My 2009 runs well and I have had NO issues with the car. I am happy and recommend the car. My wife bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and I like to drive the Caliber over the Vibe / Matrix.

May be better, but not for the price
By demonic_celery

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a brand new R/T almost 6 months ago with leather package, sunroof, 6CD changer with 9 speakers(2 of which drop down from hatch door) and a year of sirius and a chrome package for under $20k. Getting ~28mpg. I did look at many other hatchbacks, and there are a few better out there, but you will pay a premium for a "better" new one than this. And buying new, having a LIFETIME powertain warranty, come one, VALUE. Alot of consumers don't seem to quite realize what a lifetime powertrain warranty means for value, if you take care of everything else, you can drive this for decades. I have seen the touchscreen in action for the stereo with bluetooth, and plan on upgrading to that in time.

Favorite Features

Lifetime Warrenty! Stereo System. Completely adjustable height and lumbar seating. Great safety rankings. Lots of storage room, quick. The metallic paint that shines brightly even when filthy, and when cleaned and chrome shined, you sometimes have to look away (I have black). Drink Storage.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration between 0-40. System readout, autodim mirror, and Uconnect bluetooth should be a cheaper add-on. An AWD/FWD on the fly option like other hatches. Adjustable (not just fold down) backseating.