2008 Dodge Caliber Consumer Reviews 5

2008 Dodge Caliber - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:
I have 2.0L SXT
By xjerseygirlx on 07/18/09 12:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm also not sure why Edmunds hates this car! I have a SXT 2.0L CVT trans - red with black & red sport seats & red around the stereo. I LOVE MY CAR!! In my opinion, & also that of those who've been in my car, the interior DOES NOT look cheap. I took this car on a small road trip to go camping the day after I took it home & it was perfect for that. The seats were comfortable on the drive, it fit everything in it that we needed, we didn't even notice any road noise with the awesome stereo on (oh & to those of you complaining about not being able to see title & names on the radio/Sirius all you have to do is press the "info" button & it shows that stuff)...all in all this is a great car

Good Gas Mileage with CVT
By Lacpac on 06/02/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2.0 with CVT trans. Great mileage if you're light on the pedal. Up to 32 mpg on hwy at 65mph. 25-26 around town. Synthetic oil, Nitrogen in wheels at 39pds and K&N air filter. Trans is smooth! Interior is hard plastic, for which some reviews give it a bad rating. Slap a Honda logo on it and make it a box on wheels and the critics give it a 10!..Go figure. Sheet metal is a bit thin, easily dents if you try to push the door shut without using the handle. Great headlights, really covers a wide area. Comfortable seats. Like the partial reclining rear seats. Only mechanical problem was a clicking front bushing when it got wet outside. Rear brakes also need to be cleaned frequently.

A good bit-little car
By happy driver on 06/01/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Moved into Caliber from minivan and am impressed. Hard plastic interior panels make for easy cleaning after the kids. Driver seat crank makes for more customized feel. Fit of all body pieces and interior trim pieces is smooth and feels sleek. Solid thud is heard when doors close, never a question if it is or isn't shut. Slight rattle when radio is up too loud...good factory sound system! 2X trip meter and outside temp display is nice. Plenty of leg room for passenger and driver seat doesn't sit ON the floor. Easy to enter/exit because chassis rides tall. Good handling with 17" tires. I'm eager to take a road trip to test it in the long-run.

Pretty good machine.........
By ILIKEMOPAR on 05/09/09 11:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year now and I must say I am pretty impressed. Although I have had a few little issues (fuel pump replaced to correct a rough idle in wet weather, front swaybar bushings and rear swaybar links replaced, some dirt in rear brakes cleaned up, fuel guage reprogrammed), overall this car is reliable, it now has 40 000 kms on it. Rides great, gets between 25-30 mpg overall driving, handles well. CVT transmission is a great setup and the 2.0 engine has planty of power. Nice sound when full throttle.

Don't Do It
By RI Jeff on 04/05/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2008 Caliber with only 18k miles on it for $10000 figured I couldnt beat it. Boy was I wrong, within 4 months it was in the dealership five times, the computer would not hold the PCM/TCM update had it done 3 times. They had to replace both front struts, lower left control arm, the multifunction switch, airbag clock sensor. The transmission has been making a noise for a while, but they will not look at it because they do not have much experience with the CVT. My rear struts started making noises. The whole car feels and sounds like it is going to fall apart with only 24k Miles on it. Will never buy another Dodge EVER. Gas mileage was about 24 combined MPG, not as good as I thought

Not sure why Edmunds hates this car!
By DK on 04/04/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife; she drives mainly in the city and the mileage is around 22-23. The car has the 2.0 automatic and, contrary to what Edmunds claims, it has plenty of get up an go. Hey, if I wanted something that REALLY moved, I'd spend three times the money and by a 300C with a Hemi! It is more than adequate for this vehicle class. Our car is a base model, but has many options (power everything and side airbags) keeping the price below the SXT. We love the car. I don't care how Edmunds rates it, they can keep this car a secret for all I care!

!!!!SRT!!!!!
By John on 04/03/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've put 30k on my car and I loved every mile. the power and fuel economy is like having your cake and eating it too. Handling is smooth around the turns even at high speeds and ESP makes it safe in bad weather conditions. This thing stops on a dime and will launch like a rocket!

Great Commuter Car
By Mike G on 03/14/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving 400-500 miles per week on my Lexus and with soaring gas prices, I needed something smaller. I really liked the looks of the Caliber so on a whim I stopped at the local Dodge dealer. I ended up driving one home. I was hesitant on reliability so I opted for an extended warranty. I now have had the car for over a year and a half with 20k miles and not a squeak or rattle. Absolutely no warranty work. I could have saved the cost of the extended warranty. I average 30 mpg and have the utility value of a small station wagon, and it's very good looking. It's way beyond my expectations. Bottom line - It's small, reliable, and great as a 2nd car commuter vehicle.

It is what it is, I guess...
By lovethemwahoos on 03/13/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

OK I'll start by saying impulse buy. This was my 4th Mopar product, and sorry my last. I bought this car, and really don't know why in the end. From the plastic interior, satellite radio with no info display, to the awful road noise. I do like the Sunroof, and Yes Essential seats. The CVT seems to work well, corners OK, but in all a massive let down. I swallowed the loss and traded another vehicle off to cover some of the loss to purchase a Pontiac Torrent. Sorry this car is great if you really enjoyed the Neon I guess. Dodge has dropped quality so far, itís just sad. I am so happy with Torrent, sorry Dodge Caliber just needs to many improvements, glorified Neon for sure. Look around first!

Not as Much Fun as I thought it would be
By 98neonrt on 02/23/09 19:40 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

As a lover of my 1998 Neon R/T, I thought this was the best option I had for a replacement. This black AWD version caught my eye on the lot, and despite the auto transmission, I drove it off the lot a few hours later. And though I must admit, the car has been faithful, reliable, comfortable, with decent gas mileage, I really do not like it. It feels tippy on tight corners, and the CVT is the most horrific thing I've ever had. It feels like your tranny is slipping, and the response is very slow. I should have driven it on snow, and should have tried the autostick before. I never would have bought it. I think with smaller/different wheels and a manual transmission, I might be able to like it.