Used 2008 Dodge Caliber Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Caliber - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:

Whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By katatomic

2008 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car used in 2010 and I loved it at first mainly because it was the first time I had owned a car! My grandmother liked it so much that she bought one also about 6 months later. After that her transmission blew out after only 30,000 miles! She replaced the transmission costing her thousands and guess what? The second transmission started having problems. I thought it was just her car, but then today my caliber's transmission also died and now I have to get a whole new car because it isn't worth having this car anymore. Plastic covers keep breaking off, the AC unit has alway been terrible, had to replace the accelerator. Save yourself the time and money and look elsewhere.

The sound system was probably the best part. Also, the seats folded down and allowed for extra room in the car for traveling, there is an Auxiliary outlet, and gets pretty good gas milage on the freeway.

A.C. Unit, the cheap plastic coverings, the accelerator, and most importantly the transmission. See the review for more details.

Help me kill my car!
By kong4lucky

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2009 with 28k miles on it, I have replaced the alternator twice, replaced both thermostats and had to fix the A/C and now it has a bad oil leak (it currently has 81k miles on it). I don't know if this is typical of dodge cars but I do know that I will definitely research any car I buy from now on, especially if itís from Dodge. The Caliber itself drives just fine, I have no complaints on its handling, but mechanically itís been a nightmare.

The 110 power outlet.

Stop selling this car, go back to the drawing board and make it more mechanically sound.

Hidden Gem
By blackwell2012

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cali SXT with a 2.0 liter engine new in 2008. I read about pepole dogging the model, but let me tell you it handles great. I'm a professional driver, and can attest to the cars nimble performance characteristics. I can routinely weave through 70 or 80 cars on a 23 mile early morning busy traffic run. The car is good off the line and mantains manuverability and tractionality at the 70 to 72 mile an hour range. That's about as fast as anyone goes in traffic or highway crusing anyhow. The cabin is comfortable, the Sirius satellite radio sounds nice on the speakers, and you always feel in command.The doors make a nice thump sound when you close them. Well made for the money paid.

You have to get the extended max warranty. I did and never regreted the $1800 cost paid @ $125 a month. I had my first tune up, brakes and rotors resurfaced at 52,000 miles last week. The car was also making creeking sounds at 5mph and 100 rpms. I paid a $100 deductable and Baker Dodge of Princeton ended up installing a brand new transmission. They also replaced the two front struts, left control arm, left bearing and hub, and both back shocks. The warranty saved me over $8,000 in repairs. Dodge's customer service at the dealership and with my corporate case manager was superb. The dealership also paid for my rental car for several days, as they took the time to get the car in tip top shape.

The Caliber has a sun roof and it has leaked when it rains hard. Quality of workmanship, and Made In America Pride, should be a key aspect of every stage of the auto manufacturing process. Dodge corporate HQ, now that they are partnered with Fiat, would be well served to use great service departments like Baker Dodge as examples for other franchises to follow. Corporate could brand market loyalty by making extended warranties available for anyone who owns a Dodge. With the cost of automotive reapirs nearly cost prohibitive for many American families, Dodge should lead the way, and offer monthly payments on large repair bills.

HORRIBLE CAR !!!!!!!
By swiet

2008 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the car with 41,000 KM on it and I've had nothing but trouble with it!! The A/C broke, transmission had problems, it had so many problems that I cannot remember them all! The biggest issue that I had with it was the water leak! It took the dealership one year and 6 different times to figure out what was wrong with it! If i had not called head office, and they sent a specialist to look at it they would have never figured out what was wrong with it! Thank god it was under warrenty when I first went it, and when the problem continued they paid for it, because they knew they sold me a faulty car. My suggestion is: if you buy this car, or any other car, take it to a mechanic and check it

the dealerships should look at the cars before they sell them to make sure they are not faulty!!

A Good car ...
By cmeel

2008 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I love the look of the car from the outside but on the inside its a disappointment manual locks & windows and it is just cheap! I love Dodge and we bought this car after our 1st one died and wasnt worth repairing and we needed a car asap (not enough time to really shop)this was the only hatchback and it looked good so we took it.Driving its good,nothing Great or Horrible. If you have young kids stay away from this car!! the front passenger seat has to be straight up and pulled forward a lot in order to fit the carseat which is just plain uncomfortable. It needs some interior & engine improvments to really be good/nice other wise its just an ok car.

exterior look, ok on gas, great cargo space, fold down seats

revamp the whole inside