Used 2008 Dodge Caliber Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Caliber - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:

Hidden Gem
By blackwell2012

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cali SXT with a 2.0 liter engine new in 2008. I read about pepole dogging the model, but let me tell you it handles great. I'm a professional driver, and can attest to the cars nimble performance characteristics. I can routinely weave through 70 or 80 cars on a 23 mile early morning busy traffic run. The car is good off the line and mantains manuverability and tractionality at the 70 to 72 mile an hour range. That's about as fast as anyone goes in traffic or highway crusing anyhow. The cabin is comfortable, the Sirius satellite radio sounds nice on the speakers, and you always feel in command.The doors make a nice thump sound when you close them. Well made for the money paid.

Favorite Features

You have to get the extended max warranty. I did and never regreted the $1800 cost paid @ $125 a month. I had my first tune up, brakes and rotors resurfaced at 52,000 miles last week. The car was also making creeking sounds at 5mph and 100 rpms. I paid a $100 deductable and Baker Dodge of Princeton ended up installing a brand new transmission. They also replaced the two front struts, left control arm, left bearing and hub, and both back shocks. The warranty saved me over $8,000 in repairs. Dodge's customer service at the dealership and with my corporate case manager was superb. The dealership also paid for my rental car for several days, as they took the time to get the car in tip top shape.

Suggested Improvements

The Caliber has a sun roof and it has leaked when it rains hard. Quality of workmanship, and Made In America Pride, should be a key aspect of every stage of the auto manufacturing process. Dodge corporate HQ, now that they are partnered with Fiat, would be well served to use great service departments like Baker Dodge as examples for other franchises to follow. Corporate could brand market loyalty by making extended warranties available for anyone who owns a Dodge. With the cost of automotive reapirs nearly cost prohibitive for many American families, Dodge should lead the way, and offer monthly payments on large repair bills.

HORRIBLE CAR !!!!!!!
By swiet

2008 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the car with 41,000 KM on it and I've had nothing but trouble with it!! The A/C broke, transmission had problems, it had so many problems that I cannot remember them all! The biggest issue that I had with it was the water leak! It took the dealership one year and 6 different times to figure out what was wrong with it! If i had not called head office, and they sent a specialist to look at it they would have never figured out what was wrong with it! Thank god it was under warrenty when I first went it, and when the problem continued they paid for it, because they knew they sold me a faulty car. My suggestion is: if you buy this car, or any other car, take it to a mechanic and check it

Suggested Improvements

the dealerships should look at the cars before they sell them to make sure they are not faulty!!

A Good car ...
By cmeel

2008 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I love the look of the car from the outside but on the inside its a disappointment manual locks & windows and it is just cheap! I love Dodge and we bought this car after our 1st one died and wasnt worth repairing and we needed a car asap (not enough time to really shop)this was the only hatchback and it looked good so we took it.Driving its good,nothing Great or Horrible. If you have young kids stay away from this car!! the front passenger seat has to be straight up and pulled forward a lot in order to fit the carseat which is just plain uncomfortable. It needs some interior & engine improvments to really be good/nice other wise its just an ok car.

Favorite Features

exterior look, ok on gas, great cargo space, fold down seats

Suggested Improvements

revamp the whole inside

Love at first, but then....
By kytrailhikers

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car for ease of getting child in & out of car seat. Worked great for that & love the comfort and look of. Once 40,000 miles hit, the problems began. Started hearing loud clanking noise when driving on highway. I read numerous complaints about the Caliber having suspension problems. I panicked & took it right in. I didn't want to worry about my child riding in this car. Today they tell me they cannot find what is causing it... said the suspension is tight BUT suspect it is the bushings. They didn't want to take a part yet so has to get worse. AND my oxygen sensor quit so paid to get that fixed. I was not expecting all this so soon. Now I will continue to worry.

Favorite Features

Inside is so comfortable. Works great for getting child in and out of back. Sometimes when the front passenger seat is pushed all the way back, it hampers the person trying to sit in the back seat. Just takes getting used to. Gas mileage is awesome. Torque is terrible and pulling out into interstate traffic is a bit dangerous... no get up and go to this car.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge needs to work on suspension to this car.. make it stronger. Outside look is awesome and I see this car in great colors. They should keep making it but improve on suspension and motor so it stands more in competition with other cars that move out on the roadway, because the inside comfort is almost perfect in my eyes.

Great value for money!
By KristinBC

2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased my (used)Caliber two days ago, so I cannot comment yet on reliability. I have the 2.0L CVT, and I am very pleased with the gas mileage and performance so far. I did not buy this car expecting great amounts of power - I bought it for the fuel efficiency, space, value for money, and looks (in that order). I drove the Mazda 3, Chevy HHR, Chrysler PT Cruiser (which I have owned before) and the Toyota Matrix when comparing. Although I had it narrowed down to the Caliber and the HHR (based on the issues listed above), I chose the Caliber over the HHR because of the final variable of value for money - the Caliber was 2K cheaper, and offered most of the same features as the HHR.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, fuel efficiency, sporty looks

Suggested Improvements

As with others, wouldn't mind a little more oomph. Plastic trim inside and outside looks and feels cheap - better quality on that next time. Wish 120V plug would stay hot when car is off.