2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:
Bad Transmission
By baddude1 on 09/30/14 15:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought it used with 30000 miles on it but I am on my 5th transmission. One of the transmissions was the wrong one installed. Why would I buy another Dodge?

Good, basic, reliable transportation
By wk4x42007 on 12/28/13 15:17 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car for my daughter back in 2010. It had about 30K miles on it. She drives 1.5 hours on the highway round trip everyday to school, so I needed good MPG, excellent safety and real reliability. The price was awesome ($10K) and this car has delivered. It has over 90K miles on it and all I've done is change the oil, replace belts/tires/wipers and do brake jobs on a normal maintenance cycle. It has taken her through nasty weather without difficulty and protected her nicely through 2 occasions in which she has been hit by other drivers. For the price, it's been a gem.

Whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By katatomic on 09/09/12 01:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car used in 2010 and I loved it at first mainly because it was the first time I had owned a car! My grandmother liked it so much that she bought one also about 6 months later. After that her transmission blew out after only 30,000 miles! She replaced the transmission costing her thousands and guess what? The second transmission started having problems. I thought it was just her car, but then today my caliber's transmission also died and now I have to get a whole new car because it isn't worth having this car anymore. Plastic covers keep breaking off, the AC unit has alway been terrible, had to replace the accelerator. Save yourself the time and money and look elsewhere.

Help me kill my car!
By kong4lucky on 04/07/12 07:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2009 with 28k miles on it, I have replaced the alternator twice, replaced both thermostats and had to fix the A/C and now it has a bad oil leak (it currently has 81k miles on it). I don't know if this is typical of dodge cars but I do know that I will definitely research any car I buy from now on, especially if itís from Dodge. The Caliber itself drives just fine, I have no complaints on its handling, but mechanically itís been a nightmare.

Hidden Gem
By blackwell2012 on 02/28/12 21:10 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cali SXT with a 2.0 liter engine new in 2008. I read about pepole dogging the model, but let me tell you it handles great. I'm a professional driver, and can attest to the cars nimble performance characteristics. I can routinely weave through 70 or 80 cars on a 23 mile early morning busy traffic run. The car is good off the line and mantains manuverability and tractionality at the 70 to 72 mile an hour range. That's about as fast as anyone goes in traffic or highway crusing anyhow. The cabin is comfortable, the Sirius satellite radio sounds nice on the speakers, and you always feel in command.The doors make a nice thump sound when you close them. Well made for the money paid.

HORRIBLE CAR !!!!!!!
By swiet on 12/20/11 06:18 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the car with 41,000 KM on it and I've had nothing but trouble with it!! The A/C broke, transmission had problems, it had so many problems that I cannot remember them all! The biggest issue that I had with it was the water leak! It took the dealership one year and 6 different times to figure out what was wrong with it! If i had not called head office, and they sent a specialist to look at it they would have never figured out what was wrong with it! Thank god it was under warrenty when I first went it, and when the problem continued they paid for it, because they knew they sold me a faulty car. My suggestion is: if you buy this car, or any other car, take it to a mechanic and check it

A Good car ...
By cmeel on 10/25/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I love the look of the car from the outside but on the inside its a disappointment manual locks & windows and it is just cheap! I love Dodge and we bought this car after our 1st one died and wasnt worth repairing and we needed a car asap (not enough time to really shop)this was the only hatchback and it looked good so we took it.Driving its good,nothing Great or Horrible. If you have young kids stay away from this car!! the front passenger seat has to be straight up and pulled forward a lot in order to fit the carseat which is just plain uncomfortable. It needs some interior & engine improvments to really be good/nice other wise its just an ok car.

Love at first, but then....
By kytrailhikers on 12/28/10 18:38 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car for ease of getting child in & out of car seat. Worked great for that & love the comfort and look of. Once 40,000 miles hit, the problems began. Started hearing loud clanking noise when driving on highway. I read numerous complaints about the Caliber having suspension problems. I panicked & took it right in. I didn't want to worry about my child riding in this car. Today they tell me they cannot find what is causing it... said the suspension is tight BUT suspect it is the bushings. They didn't want to take a part yet so has to get worse. AND my oxygen sensor quit so paid to get that fixed. I was not expecting all this so soon. Now I will continue to worry.

Great value for money!
By KristinBC on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased my (used)Caliber two days ago, so I cannot comment yet on reliability. I have the 2.0L CVT, and I am very pleased with the gas mileage and performance so far. I did not buy this car expecting great amounts of power - I bought it for the fuel efficiency, space, value for money, and looks (in that order). I drove the Mazda 3, Chevy HHR, Chrysler PT Cruiser (which I have owned before) and the Toyota Matrix when comparing. Although I had it narrowed down to the Caliber and the HHR (based on the issues listed above), I chose the Caliber over the HHR because of the final variable of value for money - the Caliber was 2K cheaper, and offered most of the same features as the HHR.

Bad control arms
By ayork on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in '08. Love the look of it, but just found out at 44,000 miles that both front lower control arms are bad. Same thing happened to another couple 3 months ago when we were both at the dealership getting oil changes. Any one else having this problem? I was quoted over 800.00 for parts and labor...money I don't have, but car needs to be fixed asap I'm told. Thinking of trading...owned lots of cars and never had problems like this with such low mileage. Was told it was due to "Michigan roads" Beware.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.