2008 Dodge Caliber - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:
Problems with 2008
By Dawn on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have not had a good experience with our 2008 Caliber. We were told it had air-conditioning and told the salesman how important it was we had air- conditioning in California. Didn't have it. Now the Clutch Cylinder has went out twice since we have purchased it.We have only had this car not even 2 years and what a problem..The cheap plastic features inside are falling of and scratch so easy. Will never by another Dodge due to the problems we have had and the dealers not helping with the Air conditioner problems. We could put one in ourselves for $ 2,000 And the salesman admitted telling us it had air!!we signed the papers and thats how we were treated. Oh they would trade it but for $8,000.

A Very Economical Choice
By derik187 on 09/06/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my caliber used in Nov 2009 with 32k miles. I am the second owner of the vehicle and have put over 20k on it. The caliber has the interior space of a small suv with compact car gas mileage. My 2.0 4cyl w/CVT regularly averages 31 mpg per tank. Outside of routine maintenance I've not had to do a thing to the car. The car rides comfortably, handles great, and with decent tires it performs well in inclement weather. I chose the caliber for the fuel economy, interior/cargo space, unique styling, and price (mine was sub 10k). I test drove many vehicles in it's class (cobalt, versa, matrix, fit) and the caliber won out in most categories for me.

Junk
By Mark on 06/07/10 21:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's a 70,000 mile car. After that- look out. Alternator clutch- starter- tranny runs rough. Just not made for someone who needs dependability. And since it's "fairly new" part prices are outrageous. $200 for a starter. $120 for an alternator clutch. What the hell is that?

Love My 1st Car!
By Tera on 06/04/10 19:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 21 yr old college student. I was recently looking for my 1st car and the caliber wasn't my 1st choice. Originally wanted an Aveo. I don't really know how I became interested in the caliber because I didn't know anything about them. Bought a 2008 SE and I absolutely love it. It rides really good, great stereo system and pretty cool features. I believe if ever I traded it in it would be for a newer model caliber! Just awesome!

Good Rental Car
By JW2467 on 05/10/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Dodge Caliber should be a hit with rental car companies. My car is reliable, and it gets good MPG. BUT it is very uncomfortable to ride in this car. Not much room for anything. Rear inside blind does not come out, so it really limits what you can put in the back. Went to trade it off, and found out Calibers do not hold there value at all. My next car will not be a Dodge, cause I am not thrilled with this car.

Simple
By Simple on 02/05/10 17:08 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have bought this car in Nov of 09' in AZ and drove it up to WA avreging 39mpg at 75m/h. No issues at all. I have the 1.8l engine with 5 speed manual transmission. Beautiful metallic black paint job with black cloth interior and dash. I love the color combination! Good safety ratings and very roomy. Bucket seats could be a bit harder but other than that it is comfortable. Not bad car for the money. Payed $10K and it had 24K/mi on it.

Horrible car
By Beng on 08/24/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm renting a Dodge Caliber to replace my Suzuki SX4 that is being repaired. In comparison, the Caliber has a horrible turning radius, is sluggish to start, and nearly impossible to speed up. It is extremely heavy. The Caliber also has alot of road noise. The ride is not smooth at all. I feel most every bump on the road. When I change lanes I feel the whole car jolt over instead of being smooth, like my SX4. To top it off, the blindspots are a huge problem. The windows are very small, and placed so that turning my head to check the other lanes reveals only the Caliber's interior. The nice things though are an air conditioned glove box and fancy storage between the two front seats.

Don't Do It
By RI Jeff on 04/05/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2008 Caliber with only 18k miles on it for $10000 figured I couldnt beat it. Boy was I wrong, within 4 months it was in the dealership five times, the computer would not hold the PCM/TCM update had it done 3 times. They had to replace both front struts, lower left control arm, the multifunction switch, airbag clock sensor. The transmission has been making a noise for a while, but they will not look at it because they do not have much experience with the CVT. My rear struts started making noises. The whole car feels and sounds like it is going to fall apart with only 24k Miles on it. Will never buy another Dodge EVER. Gas mileage was about 24 combined MPG, not as good as I thought

Not sure why Edmunds hates this car!
By DK on 04/04/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife; she drives mainly in the city and the mileage is around 22-23. The car has the 2.0 automatic and, contrary to what Edmunds claims, it has plenty of get up an go. Hey, if I wanted something that REALLY moved, I'd spend three times the money and by a 300C with a Hemi! It is more than adequate for this vehicle class. Our car is a base model, but has many options (power everything and side airbags) keeping the price below the SXT. We love the car. I don't care how Edmunds rates it, they can keep this car a secret for all I care!

cool 4 everyone
By alvin on 10/22/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Caliber SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

having added theis 22 inch rims, i blew competition out the water fashion wise, black on chrome. if i wanted a too fast and furious on the show, i'd have a mustang in my driveway with turbo or something. I'm wheelchair bound and love the 60 40 folding seats four my wheel chair. Its room galore just like in my minivan but with tons more fun.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.