COSTS a lot to maintain
By Tron on
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
I love this car - fun to drive, great fuel economy, and I can even fit my 9 ft surf board in it. However - it's expensive to maintain. I just hit the 60,000 mile mark and because the Caliber has a variable transmission it takes, "a special kind of transmission fluid" and has to be done at the dealership. So the 60,000 service is going to cost over $650. I also just replaced the tires and since the Caliber has an odd tire size (lower profile) there are only a few tire manufactures who make that size and I spent over $900 on new tires. I do plan to keep the car for awhile - I just wasn't expecting such large chunks of money going out for routine maintenance on non-luxury vehicle.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive, hatchback allows for large items to be carted around, great fuel economy, comfortable.
Suggested Improvements
should not be so expensive to maintain.
By arik_staley
on 03/11/11 20:26 PM (PST)

Yeah I know what you mean about the tires, I just had to get mine replaced, but, may be to late, but thes are the tires I got for mine then I went to a Napa auto parts the installed them for $44 so it costed me about $600,

By kb2005
on 03/23/11 13:17 PM (PDT)

It sounds like you're getting ripped off. I took my 07 Caliber to my normal mechanic for the 60K maintenance. He had order the CVT fluid from the dealership, but the whole thing only cost me $350. As for the tires, I've never paid over $400 for all 4. I buy mine at Costco. The dealerships what you to think you HAVE to go to them! Good luck!