Used 2013 Dodge Avenger Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Dodge Avenger Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Don't do it!
By Kumacho

2013 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had more than 25 cars in my life. Of those I have purchased 5 new cars. This is the worst new car I have ever owned and one of the worst overall cars I have ever owned.

It overheated within 5,000 miles of ownership. An orange grime appeared in the overflow tank and when I took it to the dealership they told me they had seen it numerous times and it was casting material that had not been completely flushed from the system at the factory.

The cruise control would refuse to turn on at times and the dealership could never reproduce it so it never was repaired. It just became an issue I had to “live with”.

Fit and finish is mediocre at best. The plastic surrounding the radio and middle vents in the dash never matched and again, the dealership stated replacing it wouldn’t change the gaps or the poor fit.

The car had a surge from the day I bought it. It also would start up and surge after a cold start, as if it were running too lean. After three new releases of programing for the engine management computer the surge was still there. It would surge at 25-35 mph and at 60ish mph.

For 178 horse power this car has undesirable and inexcusable torque steer. Leave a light from a stop and the car will pull hard right. Leave the light under hard acceleration and if you don’t have ahold of the wheel you will do an un-commanded lane change in short order.

The transmission never shifted smoothly. Going uphill it would hunt for a gear. Each time the transmission changes gears the torque steer pulls on the steering so going up a hill you are constantly correcting.

The airbag warning light went off at 50,000 miles. Source was a terrible design by Dodge. There is a bungee cord pulling down on the wire bundle that leads to the headrest airbags. Place a 220 pound man in the driver’s seat with this bungee cord pulling on the wires and you get broken wires. Doesn’t take an engineer to figure that one out.

Overall – Poor design, poor build quality, poor economy, horrible dealer support (or lack thereof) and a car that appears to be built to die in 5 years or less.

Handles like its on rails!
By Edalb

2013 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Make sure your thermostats are working. Anyway this car handles awesome and the 4cyl is pretty quick too. The sound system is decent enough that I'm not going to change it until I blow a speaker. The trunk space is big too. Your tires are 225 which is awesome for a little car.

Got the Wobbles
By Jon

2013 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Okay. So I have had my 2013 Avenger for about a year and a half. I'm sitting at 68,700 miles. A few months ago my brakes completely locked up and I couldn't even move my car. Cost my almost $1,000 to get it fixed. Now not even 3 months later my brakes are squeaking again. Terrible on brakes! Also a current issue.. I don't know if it's the transmission or what, but the entire car feels like it's vibrating and the steering wheel is especially wobbley. I hate it. It's so annoying! I will be trading this car in as soon as I can afford to and I will advise everyone who is looking for a new car not to purchase a Dodge Avenger. Terrible car!

Fun and reliable great priced car
By av8tore71

2013 Dodge Avenger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Fast fun and a delight to drive

I have the Avenger V6 SE model which Edmonds does include I do not know why. I love this car the fuel economy is awesome even for the V6 (I got 31 MPG at the best) driving on highway speeds 70MPH. The car is comfy even for my back ( I had 4 back surgeries ) and this is the perfect car for my 16 year old son

even though Dodge stopped building the Avenger the Avenger really gets a bum rap, this is a very good car and I have no cons at all.

Good value for price
By deanhudgins

2013 Dodge Avenger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have the basic se model with the 3.6 engine. I did look at a few other cars but was able to get this one in my price with the v6 vs others that only had a 4 cylinder. The v6 is nice and much better than the 4 cylinder in the avenger. I also did not give up much in MPG vs the 4. The ride is not bad at all and the seat are just find for my wife and I. MY son likes the pull down cup holders in the back seat. The Avenger is only a little smaller than some of the cars in its class but it's because of this that I liked it. It makes it much easier in parking lots and tight spaces. Be careful backing up because of the blind spot which is bigger than most cars. Overall I really enjoy this car.

The v6 punch. good ride. Not much difference between v6 vs 4 in mpg.

Should have improved blind spot in back. They went for looks over function.