Used 2012 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Great car for the price
By bv41706

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought mine new with 3 miles on it in 2012 and have loved every minute driving it. I have a long drive to work and take business trips from time to time and if I leave it in cruise control on the highway set between 65-70 mph, i have gotten 36+mpg average on the highway. I have had trouble getting it to start in the cold, but only the one day when the temp here in NY dropped to -20 overnight and i realized that it was because i had left something plugged in and have had no trouble since. I have had no problems with it and i just today turned 48k miles on it and it still drives like the day i bought it. no problems whatsoever.

The only thing that was tough was driving in the factory tires in the snow. The tires are so wide, there is little traction and what i found was to get 4 x 16 in rims and higher profile slightly narrower snows and that has worked like a charm. i have driven this car in the snows of syracuse, rochester, buffalo, and everywhere in between with no problems. Overall, this is a fantastic car.

Screeching noise
By matchbox20fan

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My avenger makes a horrible screeching sound when I back up in low speed and apply brakes. My backing plate, rear rotors pads and clips have been replaced only to make the sound worse and now noise is heard when I go forward also. I have notified Chrysler only to be turned away because no dealership can find a problem. Yet all heads turn when my car is leaving

Heated seats. Cruise. Sunroof

Design of trunk so water don't leak in when you open it Brake? Noise issue Design of window in back so you can see out

Junk
By james273

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car brand new and now have 21000 miles on it. Worst car I ever owned. Has been in the shop multiple times for the hvac system not working properly. Now the ride has gotten worse. It feels like the rear struts went bad. The 4 cylinder engine is okay on power but not something to brag about and I dont get anywhere near the estimated mpg as the sticker says. Also had problems with the speedometer and transmission intermittently not working properly. The trade in value of this car is low. For the age of the car I expected more. With this car it truly is buyer be ware.

Buy it for the Motor - Drive it for the FUN!
By bige44221

2012 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I waited to write this owning my R/T for almost a year and having over 8,000 miles on it. This car does ROCK & some Mopor aftermarket parts (I added a performance throttle body) can increase the HP to over 300. Some other reviewer talks about smoking other cars and such and still getting 30mpg, this is BS. You can't be racey and fuel efficient at the same time. If you take it easy, you will get 28-30mpg. Over 30? No. The car performs great, handles will and is a lot of fun. I tested just about every car in this class - Malibu, Fusion, Altima, Camery - none of them have the power of this engine. If you are considering any of the cars above, check out the Avenger.

The 3.6 Pentastar engine is my favorite feature. I got the base R/T model with basic UConnect system. This is one area I wish I had gone with an upgrade. It would have been fun to have my mobile phone bluetooth work with my car stereo for better hands free. All in all, I like the exterior, interior and overall quality. The fit and finish of this car is great. I get a lot of compliments on the car (color is Redline Red), the front seats are very comfortable and my kids love the molded headrest for the rear seat that are comfortable and have a racey look. The trunk is adequate but would like a bigger one.

I added a Mopar high performance throttle body (installed by dealer) and this really increased throttle response. There was a lot of lag with the stock throttle. I would recommend this as standard. I would also like to see an All Wheel Drive (AWD) option. If there is any way to make the trunk bigger I would do it.

Astonished. Seriously.
By joe_e

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I went to drive a Charger. We looked at a few, when she spotted this number on the side of the lot. We went through four different Chargers before we drove the Avenger, and I was completely blown away. The 3.6 in this destroys the same engine in my '12 Durango, this car was what that engine was built for. Absolutely thunderous performance above and beyond anything we drove, anywhere. No Accord, No Maxima, no Malibu or Fusion or anything came close to touching it in performance. Full leather is nice, electronics rock, build quality makes me hope that this is a trend for American Automakers, it's so good.

PERFORMANCE!!! Drives like a car way more expensive and/or foreign. Shocked that it's considered the "most American built car", as we are led to believe that Americans don't build cars this well. Fit/Finish are perfect, lines are right on, everywhere.

Visibility in blind spot is kind of a bear. Would prefer the exterior to take on more styling from the Charger/Dart/Durango than the Journey/Grand Caravan/Caliber. Still, best drive in a V6 sold in the US for <$25K.