2012 Dodge Avenger SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

2012 Avenger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Sort Reviews by

2012 SE V-6....not an option above
By imports4ever

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am very disappointed in this car. It is just shy of 3 yrs old and I have put $1200 in to the car in two months. All electronics or emissions issues that are not covered by the warranty. The engine, 3.6L Pentastar, is the only good thing about this pile of flaming poo. The transmission is so lazy I'm amazed it even bothers to show up. Rattles and creaks. Quiet and above average in comfort. Mileage is horrendous! I've never gotten more than 19 mpg combined. On long drives (flat highway 65 mph) you can get up to 29 mpg, but that only happened one time. Chews up tires like Rolaids. 47,750 miles as of this morning and I'm just so disappointed. Going back to VW. Diesel.

Favorite Features

Engine. Goes like it's on fire.

Suggested Improvements

Quit adding gears. Drop back to the 5 speed AT and offer a manual option with the V6. Convert it to RWD and bring back AWD. Figure out QC and get the electronics right. Train your service staff to be less rude.

My favorite car I have ever owned.
By kshizzle

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is the 6th car I have owned and I can honestly say that I am finally driving the exact car that I wanted to be driving. Before I bought my Avenger I had always settled for what was available (hand me down cars) as well as what was cheap and reliable. I drove a Corolla for 12 years and that made the decision to settle for nothing less then a 6 cylinder engine that much easier. I drove most the cars in this class (G6, Malibu, Camry etc...) as rental cars but when I rented the Avenger I was sold. Most people on the road do not understand that it has a 3.6 liter 283 hp engine inside. Easily enough to beat all of the cars in its class. Fun car for sure.

Favorite Features

The 3.6 Liter 283 hp engine. I really love it when people try to drive past me in their Camry's or whatever other piece they are driving. That lasts only a couple seconds before I blow by them and they realize they do not have the car to compete with me. The only problem I had was one day on the highway the computer stopped the acceleration around 140. I still had a half of a peddle to go but the car just wouldn't go any faster. Dang computers.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the speed limitation in the computer.

I love it, but . . .
By iamkristen

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I really do love this car. The engine is fantastic. Awesome performance! Its exterior is eye-catching and sleek. The car is a combination of sporty and practical. Now what I don't like . . . The people who work in the service department of the dealership where I bought the car know me. The car has been in there THAT often. Various censors or detectors that trigger the engine light, the ABS/traction/cruise control system, a misfiring cylinder, visor clip broke off, the entire control panel (lock/window switch) in the passenger side door came out, the vents were flopping closed . . . and I have about 50k miles now. Everything but the ABS issue was when the car was under 36k miles.

Favorite Features

Looks, styling, performance, audio system with hard drive (no more CDs floating around the car). I bought the SXT Plus for its sporty look, the engine, and ordered it in red metallic paint. :-)

Suggested Improvements

Censors, censors, censors. Are they supposed to be disposable? It worries me that for as low as my odometer is (2012 model with 50k miles), it's had all these problems. Sure, they are relatively minor except for the misfire & ABS system issues. There are so many issues, though. My boss even commented on how often my car is in the shop. The cosmetic things - visor clip, door control panel, vents - should not be wearing out at under 36k miles. It makes me feel as if the components are cheap & basically disposable. I'm very disappointed in this aspect of the car.

Great car for the price
By bv41706

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought mine new with 3 miles on it in 2012 and have loved every minute driving it. I have a long drive to work and take business trips from time to time and if I leave it in cruise control on the highway set between 65-70 mph, i have gotten 36+mpg average on the highway. I have had trouble getting it to start in the cold, but only the one day when the temp here in NY dropped to -20 overnight and i realized that it was because i had left something plugged in and have had no trouble since. I have had no problems with it and i just today turned 48k miles on it and it still drives like the day i bought it. no problems whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that was tough was driving in the factory tires in the snow. The tires are so wide, there is little traction and what i found was to get 4 x 16 in rims and higher profile slightly narrower snows and that has worked like a charm. i have driven this car in the snows of syracuse, rochester, buffalo, and everywhere in between with no problems. Overall, this is a fantastic car.

Screeching noise
By matchbox20fan

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My avenger makes a horrible screeching sound when I back up in low speed and apply brakes. My backing plate, rear rotors pads and clips have been replaced only to make the sound worse and now noise is heard when I go forward also. I have notified Chrysler only to be turned away because no dealership can find a problem. Yet all heads turn when my car is leaving

Favorite Features

Heated seats. Cruise. Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Design of trunk so water don't leak in when you open it Brake? Noise issue Design of window in back so you can see out

Junk
By james273

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car brand new and now have 21000 miles on it. Worst car I ever owned. Has been in the shop multiple times for the hvac system not working properly. Now the ride has gotten worse. It feels like the rear struts went bad. The 4 cylinder engine is okay on power but not something to brag about and I dont get anywhere near the estimated mpg as the sticker says. Also had problems with the speedometer and transmission intermittently not working properly. The trade in value of this car is low. For the age of the car I expected more. With this car it truly is buyer be ware.

Buy it for the Motor - Drive it for the FUN!
By bige44221

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I waited to write this owning my R/T for almost a year and having over 8,000 miles on it. This car does ROCK & some Mopor aftermarket parts (I added a performance throttle body) can increase the HP to over 300. Some other reviewer talks about smoking other cars and such and still getting 30mpg, this is BS. You can't be racey and fuel efficient at the same time. If you take it easy, you will get 28-30mpg. Over 30? No. The car performs great, handles will and is a lot of fun. I tested just about every car in this class - Malibu, Fusion, Altima, Camery - none of them have the power of this engine. If you are considering any of the cars above, check out the Avenger.

Favorite Features

The 3.6 Pentastar engine is my favorite feature. I got the base R/T model with basic UConnect system. This is one area I wish I had gone with an upgrade. It would have been fun to have my mobile phone bluetooth work with my car stereo for better hands free. All in all, I like the exterior, interior and overall quality. The fit and finish of this car is great. I get a lot of compliments on the car (color is Redline Red), the front seats are very comfortable and my kids love the molded headrest for the rear seat that are comfortable and have a racey look. The trunk is adequate but would like a bigger one.

Suggested Improvements

I added a Mopar high performance throttle body (installed by dealer) and this really increased throttle response. There was a lot of lag with the stock throttle. I would recommend this as standard. I would also like to see an All Wheel Drive (AWD) option. If there is any way to make the trunk bigger I would do it.

Astonished. Seriously.
By joe_e

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I went to drive a Charger. We looked at a few, when she spotted this number on the side of the lot. We went through four different Chargers before we drove the Avenger, and I was completely blown away. The 3.6 in this destroys the same engine in my '12 Durango, this car was what that engine was built for. Absolutely thunderous performance above and beyond anything we drove, anywhere. No Accord, No Maxima, no Malibu or Fusion or anything came close to touching it in performance. Full leather is nice, electronics rock, build quality makes me hope that this is a trend for American Automakers, it's so good.

Favorite Features

PERFORMANCE!!! Drives like a car way more expensive and/or foreign. Shocked that it's considered the "most American built car", as we are led to believe that Americans don't build cars this well. Fit/Finish are perfect, lines are right on, everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility in blind spot is kind of a bear. Would prefer the exterior to take on more styling from the Charger/Dart/Durango than the Journey/Grand Caravan/Caliber. Still, best drive in a V6 sold in the US for <$25K.

11 year new car drought
By cardinalgirl

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

11 year Cherokee owner, I tried to buy cars in that span but none were right. I wouldn't have bought this one had I been unable to keep the Ch. This Avenger allows me to own both and alternate seasons with them. Once I got used to the new 6 speed 4 cyl. that is so prevalent, I grew to love this car more every time. Gauges instead of dummy lights, steering wheel radio and voice control bluetooth, reliable power windows (so far, heh), the styling is really nice, and, the highway noise just doesn't exist. The steering is fine. Headroom could be better. I6 to 4cyl. I think it should be quicker on the uptake from dead stop to go. All considered, I am more than pleased.

Favorite Features

40/60 split accessible to the back seat instead of just the trunk, feels like a substantial vehicle, handles great.

Suggested Improvements

map lights suck (why bother type thing), I bump my arm/shoulder and head sometimes when getting in/out. Low door curve I think.

Awesome MPG!
By my2012sxtplus

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Copperhead Pearlcoat SXT Plus 3.6L V6 With only 308 miles on it as of today, my average MPG is 30.3 which includes city and hwy. I LOVE the 283 HP (smoked a similar import yesterday!) Another interesting fact about my Avenger is that Dodge is no longer carrying the Copperhead Pearlcoat paint line. It was discontinued on April 1st, 2012. Thankfully I was able to purchase mine last weekend! The interior is a huge improvement for any of the DCJF lines, no more cheap plastic or uncomfortable seating. I am a very picky and easily annoyed driver/owner and for once, I have NO complaints! I hated my Jeep GC and was hesitant to purchase another DCJF, the Avenger proved me wrong!

Favorite Features

MPG, Horsepower,much improved interior, body lines, comfort, 6 speed automatic shifts like butter!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would improve would be the wheel choices, I love the Chrysler 200 S wheels and I think they would look amazing on the Avenger.