Used 2012 Dodge Avenger SXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Great car for the price
By bv41706

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought mine new with 3 miles on it in 2012 and have loved every minute driving it. I have a long drive to work and take business trips from time to time and if I leave it in cruise control on the highway set between 65-70 mph, i have gotten 36+mpg average on the highway. I have had trouble getting it to start in the cold, but only the one day when the temp here in NY dropped to -20 overnight and i realized that it was because i had left something plugged in and have had no trouble since. I have had no problems with it and i just today turned 48k miles on it and it still drives like the day i bought it. no problems whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that was tough was driving in the factory tires in the snow. The tires are so wide, there is little traction and what i found was to get 4 x 16 in rims and higher profile slightly narrower snows and that has worked like a charm. i have driven this car in the snows of syracuse, rochester, buffalo, and everywhere in between with no problems. Overall, this is a fantastic car.

Screeching noise
By matchbox20fan

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My avenger makes a horrible screeching sound when I back up in low speed and apply brakes. My backing plate, rear rotors pads and clips have been replaced only to make the sound worse and now noise is heard when I go forward also. I have notified Chrysler only to be turned away because no dealership can find a problem. Yet all heads turn when my car is leaving

Favorite Features

Heated seats. Cruise. Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Design of trunk so water don't leak in when you open it Brake? Noise issue Design of window in back so you can see out

Junk
By james273

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car brand new and now have 21000 miles on it. Worst car I ever owned. Has been in the shop multiple times for the hvac system not working properly. Now the ride has gotten worse. It feels like the rear struts went bad. The 4 cylinder engine is okay on power but not something to brag about and I dont get anywhere near the estimated mpg as the sticker says. Also had problems with the speedometer and transmission intermittently not working properly. The trade in value of this car is low. For the age of the car I expected more. With this car it truly is buyer be ware.

11 year new car drought
By cardinalgirl

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

11 year Cherokee owner, I tried to buy cars in that span but none were right. I wouldn't have bought this one had I been unable to keep the Ch. This Avenger allows me to own both and alternate seasons with them. Once I got used to the new 6 speed 4 cyl. that is so prevalent, I grew to love this car more every time. Gauges instead of dummy lights, steering wheel radio and voice control bluetooth, reliable power windows (so far, heh), the styling is really nice, and, the highway noise just doesn't exist. The steering is fine. Headroom could be better. I6 to 4cyl. I think it should be quicker on the uptake from dead stop to go. All considered, I am more than pleased.

Favorite Features

40/60 split accessible to the back seat instead of just the trunk, feels like a substantial vehicle, handles great.

Suggested Improvements

map lights suck (why bother type thing), I bump my arm/shoulder and head sometimes when getting in/out. Low door curve I think.

Great Value
By interpolfan1

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2.4L has plenty of power,and is comfortable and fun to drive. The driver's seat sits higher than my Patriot did,so after driving Jeeps for the past 7+ years,I don't feel like I'm sitting on the ground. I love the cold weather package and the stereo sounds great and is easy to access,thanks to the steering wheel controls. It has handled well this winter,though I have to remind myself I no longer have 4x4.Haven't had it long enough(2 weeks)to know what the mpg's will average out to.

Favorite Features

Remote start;sound system;heated seats;nice looking car,with a solid 2.4L,that actually sounds a bit "throaty";handles great.

Suggested Improvements

None so far.