2012 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
My favorite car I have ever owned.
By kshizzle on 07/09/14 14:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is the 6th car I have owned and I can honestly say that I am finally driving the exact car that I wanted to be driving. Before I bought my Avenger I had always settled for what was available (hand me down cars) as well as what was cheap and reliable. I drove a Corolla for 12 years and that made the decision to settle for nothing less then a 6 cylinder engine that much easier. I drove most the cars in this class (G6, Malibu, Camry etc...) as rental cars but when I rented the Avenger I was sold. Most people on the road do not understand that it has a 3.6 liter 283 hp engine inside. Easily enough to beat all of the cars in its class. Fun car for sure.

I love it, but . . .
By iamkristen on 07/08/14 13:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I really do love this car. The engine is fantastic. Awesome performance! Its exterior is eye-catching and sleek. The car is a combination of sporty and practical. Now what I don't like . . . The people who work in the service department of the dealership where I bought the car know me. The car has been in there THAT often. Various censors or detectors that trigger the engine light, the ABS/traction/cruise control system, a misfiring cylinder, visor clip broke off, the entire control panel (lock/window switch) in the passenger side door came out, the vents were flopping closed . . . and I have about 50k miles now. Everything but the ABS issue was when the car was under 36k miles.

Great car for the price
By bv41706 on 03/01/14 19:14 PM (PST)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought mine new with 3 miles on it in 2012 and have loved every minute driving it. I have a long drive to work and take business trips from time to time and if I leave it in cruise control on the highway set between 65-70 mph, i have gotten 36+mpg average on the highway. I have had trouble getting it to start in the cold, but only the one day when the temp here in NY dropped to -20 overnight and i realized that it was because i had left something plugged in and have had no trouble since. I have had no problems with it and i just today turned 48k miles on it and it still drives like the day i bought it. no problems whatsoever.

Screeching noise
By matchbox20fan on 07/18/13 19:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My avenger makes a horrible screeching sound when I back up in low speed and apply brakes. My backing plate, rear rotors pads and clips have been replaced only to make the sound worse and now noise is heard when I go forward also. I have notified Chrysler only to be turned away because no dealership can find a problem. Yet all heads turn when my car is leaving

Junk
By james273 on 05/09/13 12:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car brand new and now have 21000 miles on it. Worst car I ever owned. Has been in the shop multiple times for the hvac system not working properly. Now the ride has gotten worse. It feels like the rear struts went bad. The 4 cylinder engine is okay on power but not something to brag about and I dont get anywhere near the estimated mpg as the sticker says. Also had problems with the speedometer and transmission intermittently not working properly. The trade in value of this car is low. For the age of the car I expected more. With this car it truly is buyer be ware.

Buy it for the Motor - Drive it for the FUN!
By bige44221 on 03/16/13 20:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I waited to write this owning my R/T for almost a year and having over 8,000 miles on it. This car does ROCK & some Mopor aftermarket parts (I added a performance throttle body) can increase the HP to over 300. Some other reviewer talks about smoking other cars and such and still getting 30mpg, this is BS. You can't be racey and fuel efficient at the same time. If you take it easy, you will get 28-30mpg. Over 30? No. The car performs great, handles will and is a lot of fun. I tested just about every car in this class - Malibu, Fusion, Altima, Camery - none of them have the power of this engine. If you are considering any of the cars above, check out the Avenger.

Astonished. Seriously.
By joe_e on 12/09/12 01:59 AM (PST)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I went to drive a Charger. We looked at a few, when she spotted this number on the side of the lot. We went through four different Chargers before we drove the Avenger, and I was completely blown away. The 3.6 in this destroys the same engine in my '12 Durango, this car was what that engine was built for. Absolutely thunderous performance above and beyond anything we drove, anywhere. No Accord, No Maxima, no Malibu or Fusion or anything came close to touching it in performance. Full leather is nice, electronics rock, build quality makes me hope that this is a trend for American Automakers, it's so good.

11 year new car drought
By cardinalgirl on 07/29/12 00:06 AM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

11 year Cherokee owner, I tried to buy cars in that span but none were right. I wouldn't have bought this one had I been unable to keep the Ch. This Avenger allows me to own both and alternate seasons with them. Once I got used to the new 6 speed 4 cyl. that is so prevalent, I grew to love this car more every time. Gauges instead of dummy lights, steering wheel radio and voice control bluetooth, reliable power windows (so far, heh), the styling is really nice, and, the highway noise just doesn't exist. The steering is fine. Headroom could be better. I6 to 4cyl. I think it should be quicker on the uptake from dead stop to go. All considered, I am more than pleased.

Awesome MPG!
By my2012sxtplus on 04/25/12 10:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Avenger SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Copperhead Pearlcoat SXT Plus 3.6L V6 With only 308 miles on it as of today, my average MPG is 30.3 which includes city and hwy. I LOVE the 283 HP (smoked a similar import yesterday!) Another interesting fact about my Avenger is that Dodge is no longer carrying the Copperhead Pearlcoat paint line. It was discontinued on April 1st, 2012. Thankfully I was able to purchase mine last weekend! The interior is a huge improvement for any of the DCJF lines, no more cheap plastic or uncomfortable seating. I am a very picky and easily annoyed driver/owner and for once, I have NO complaints! I hated my Jeep GC and was hesitant to purchase another DCJF, the Avenger proved me wrong!

I'm very satisfied with this car
By kcguy62 on 02/13/12 01:08 AM (PST)

2012 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove several mid size cars. And finally decided on the base model 2012 Dodge avenger for the following reasons. First It is a 2012 top safety pick. I think the avenger is really nice looking.... I chose the bright silver exterior with black interior. It has nice quality materials and craftsmanship. The 2.4 engine has all the power I need and gets great mpg. If you want to race once in a while get the v-6 version, it has over a hundred more horse power... be careful "laughs". I also like the way the avenger feels on the road... It has a very comfortable ride. It also handles curves well, the steering and brakes are responsive. To sum up the review. I love driving this car!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Dodge Avenger in VA is:

$161 per month*