Better Than You Think
By georgecavalier on
2011 Dodge Avenger Mainstreet 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Bought in Heat trim with the 3.6 Pentastar V6... Edmunds wouldn't let me choose that for a trim. MSRP was close to $26K but I got it for just above $18K. Car has plenty of power, my only gripe with performance is the economy-minded transmission. It's quick to get to high gear and sometimes needs a stab of the gas to shift down. Otherwise, a fun car to drive that never feels underpowered. I get around mid-20s MPG but probably could do better if I kept my foot off the gas pedal. Smaller than a lot of midsizers nowadays but there's more room than you'd expect. Nobody feels crampt. The cabin for '11 is much nicer with plenty of high quality materials. Rides smoothly and there's little noise.
Favorite Features
The engine... lots of power and has a nice growl under acceleration. The suspension performs better than expected and the ride is smooth. The interior.... comfortable, controls easy to use, lots of quality. All of the controls are brightly lit and there are more cupholders than seats. The mini-Charger looks... I get compliments all the time. The sound system sounds great for a stock system... only needs a couple of subs. Decent gas mileage. While others would find the car on the smaller side, I think the size is perfect as most "midsize" cars have grown too large. There's not enough space here to comment on everything but there's a lot to love. Do yourself a favor and test drive one.
Suggested Improvements
Mostly minor gripes: Be nice to have auto-up/down for both front windows versus only auto-down for the driver. Also, not to have to remove a front wheel to get to the battery (there separate, easy to get to terminals for charging/jumpstarts, however). Give the transmission sportier shift programming. Bring back the AWD model... it would make this car closer to perfect for me. Owners manual sometimes incorrect: Replacement headlights, battery location, folding front passenger seat. Why is there buttons for Uconnect when I don't have that feature? Why offer a 4-cyl when you only gain 1 or 2 MPG and sacrifice 111hp? V6 should be standard or offer a more fuel efficient 4-cyl.
By grnolble
on 06/01/11 05:19 AM (PDT)

Let me get this straight, you got a Avenger Heat order package, Pentastar V6, for 18K? That's laughable, the invoice on that package is $24,400, the MSRP is only $1300 more than that, which the dealer told me. If your motor is 'growling' then you have the 2.4 liter. The Pentastar V6 puts out a whine like a nice V8, and a nice sound from the dual exhaust. Also, the auto 6-speed has manual shift, and if you know how to use it, you can rip through the gears really quickly from a standing start, no lag or whatever your describing, it's fast as hell. The comes with a media center 430 system, touch screen, it plays movies too, 30gb hard drive, and the list goes on and on, as far as all the features.

By georgecavalier
on 06/01/11 15:29 PM (PDT)

How is $18K "laughable?" I got a good deal and that's all there is to it. Will everyone get one for around that price? Probably not... seems to depend on the dealer. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what I bought which is the V6 Heat version... I'm sorry I don't interpret the sound the same as you. The manual mode is faster, I agree, but most people don't use it anyway so I figured I would use the limited room they give you on something else. The lag I'm talking about is when the tranny is in 6th and you want to downshift to pass or climb a hill (and you're in auto mode). For me, it requires a good amount of pedal travel to get it to downshift. I'm thinking it's the transmission programming trying wring out every drop of gas. Once it does downshift, however, it certainly has lots of bite. And yes, thank you, I did forget to describe the stereo in better detail. I love all of those features (makes my iPod obsolete). Like you said, lots of features but unfortunately, Edmunds doesn't give you a lot of space.

By grnolble
on 06/03/11 05:28 AM (PDT)

I have three independent sources that say what the invoice is, Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, and the dealership. My heat with all the features had a dealer invoice of $24837, that's what they paid for it. MSRP is $26000, but they sold it for only $500 above invoice, which is $25400, cash incentives for may were $1750 total or 0% financing for 60 months. So, a dealership to sell a new 2011 Avenger, and take a $5000 loss on it is just bs. My buddy that sold me mine about it when I told him. Let me know what dealer you got it from, then I'll go there, buy another one, then re-sell it and make a nice little profit. My dealer is selling my 2009 Sentra I traded in for $18 grand!

By 80svoyager
on 06/06/11 19:11 PM (PDT)

Hi. I just bought a 2011 Avenger Heat Edition and agree that without a down payment or trade-in, the price could not be $18,000 for a "Brand New" Avenger Heat. Even if a consumer qualified for all rebates - the bottom line price was around $21,000. And that included military, registering in a business name, etc... Just my opinion. Sincerely, Brian:) P.S. - My owners manual states that I should have access to the "ECO" light on the dash, but can't seem to find it. The dealer was unable to assist as well. I went into personal settings and there was nothing to help. I honestly don't think the V-6 has it. Can anyone help? Thanks!!