Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Head-turner in Europe
By Paganarh

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased as new on June of 09, so not even year old, but I'm really enjoying driving this car. Its smooth and relaxed, but doesn't object when you floor it to overtake another car on the freeway. Mind you, 2,4 is already to the "big" side, as far as engines go in Europe on middle class sedans. Only bone to pick is that "chill zone" a bit useless for me, darkening rear mirror works only when somebody is really riding your tail and default battery is weak- couldn't get car started when outside was "only" -20C/-4F, gonna change it for next winter. Other than that, I love this car and it really stands out amongst plain European and eastern cars around me. And there's only 4 Avengers in Estonia

Favorite Features

comfort, exterior looks, trunk space, good sound system

Suggested Improvements

upgrade the battery before you sell it in northern Europe

Not impressed
By Jill

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this avenger new off the lot and I have not been happy with many of the features. I drive for work and spend a lot of time inside my car. The second cup holder is located slightly under the console/armrest and it makes it difficult to use. At 50,000 miles my radio now occasionally shorts out. I also had a problem that it was just suddenly dying at stoplights however a factory computer update did solve this problem. It runs well otherwise, the net like seats are difficult to clean because small crumbs get stuck under this material. No repairs yet, but the interior space just seems crowded with supplies and the trunk lacks good space as well.

Favorite Features

Multiple lighter plug ins for GPS and other chargers

Suggested Improvements

interior cup holder and console area

Front Seats
By Slrozel

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love everything about my Avenger BUT, boy are the seats uncomfortable. They are so uncomfortable that I had to rig up some padding. They actually make my back hurt so bad that if traveling any distance, I have trouble walking. I think it puts pressure on a nerve in my lower back. Does the same thing to my husband who's almost 1 foot taller than me. It's not like a T- shirt where you keep the receipt and take it back if it doesn't fit. Also, the 4 cyl. is very sluggish in the low end but once it gets going it performs pretty good.

Favorite Features

Body style, roomy, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats. The ergonomic fad is not working.

Just a Blast
By dragin19

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and i purchased this car new, in April of 07. Our first trip was half way across the country in may of 07. it was fantastic. we experienced minor issues with stalling and such but a reprogramming of the transmission controller fixed that. We purchased the 2.7l v6 and wow, it accelerates like no buddies business, with 18" rims and the touring suspension it rides great. The stereo is great just wish now that we had opted for the MyGig system (60gig hd). The fuel economy is great to for the car, nearly 33mph on long highway trips, and so so city, about 19+.

Favorite Features

great handling, acceleration, good trunk space, the stainproof fabric. remote car starter.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spot only issue, besides a redesign, not much you can do about that.

2.7lL V-6 SXT
By Avenger08

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car for my wife, traded in my 2004 chevy classic. Car has good features like sport appearance package with fog lamps and a spoiler, moon roof and climate control, tire pressure monitor and compass all really nice, just wish it had abs brakes and traction control for Illinois winters. Two biggest complaints are 1. very hard to see out the back window which makes it difficult in parking lots. 2. Transmissions shifts funky if not allowed to warm up for 5 minutes even during the summer. y wife took it on a 5000 mile trip and averaged 32 mpg, but city driving usually results in 15-18 mpg and normal highway driving is about 27-29 mpg. would buy the charger next time.

Favorite Features

sport appearance aka. fog lamps, spoiler, and moon roof,V-6 performance very good considering only 2.7 liters, climate control, tire pressure monitor and all the other fun gadgets it came with.

Suggested Improvements

Better design for better visibility while backing. Car should not have to run for 5 minutes even during the summer for the transmission to shift properly