Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Avenger

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Gear Shifter
By Jerry Beck

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Gear shifter became stuck in park after only 54,000 miles. Took it to the original dealership yesterday and will ask the dealer to recommend a recall on the linkage part that is causing the problem. Once located, I had to shift gears manually under the hood and get in in Drive. Once at the dealership, I had to manually put it in Park.

This is the only problem that we have incurred since buying the vehicle other that the brakes squeaking when you back up. But, according to the salesman, this is natural. Right!

Issue a recall on the transmission linkage and replace it.

Gear box
By Davis

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2008 Avenger and got in it last night and could not get it out of park. Also the trunk leaks and have not been able to understand what the problem is. On the gears had to override the safe box just to get it to the Dodge House. I am sure for one little plastic piece they are going to want me to buy a hole new gear box.

The handling is great

Stop using plastic parts

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT
By Shaun

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2007. Since then, I had it in the shop numerous times. The most recent time was just this Monday, July 12, 2010. My car's shifter was stuck in park and would not budge. I googled this problem and it seems like A LOT of people are having the same issues. I had it towed and the dealership had to replace the enitre shifter assembly. NOTE: My car only has 43,000 miles on it! Dodge needs to do a recall on the shifter problem! (Also, the cup cooler quit working, there was a high pitch noise on front drivers side, had to replace brake pads and rotors but still had vibration in the car, and my back drivers side door has window issues) My advice: Don't buy this car!

Everything, it is a lemon!

What was i thinking?
By bbgurl

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

There is something wrong with the Dodge avenger that I purchased. Within the first year of owning the vehicle it has shut off while driving at least 5 times. I was driving on the highway at 80 mph and the car shut off the wheel wouldn't turn and brakes wouldn't work. After the car stopped on it own, on the highway. I put it in park and turned engine off then back on. After that the car just stalls in the worst possibly moments. It doesn't move matter how many times I press the gas pedal until it wants. Then I couldn't get the car off of park. This is the worst car ever, I have been in and out of Dodge service b/c there is always something wrong.

i love how it starts using key.

water falls in the trunk.

Worst car I've owned
By TERRIBLE CAR!

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Avenger 5 months ago and have made several repairs. #1-Rotors were shot. Replaced rotors and had rear brake drums turned. #2-Air Filter lid was too tight. Broke when I tried to replace. Dealer had to order part and fix. #3-Car died twice when I came to a stop. Dealer had to update software on the car. Finally, my car got stuck in park this weekend. Now it is in the shop to get repaired again. This car is a joke. Looks great on the outside. Made with cheap parts. NEVER buy a Dodge. I owned a Stratus before & didn't learn my lesson. As soon as I paid off my Stratus the transmission went out. I could either pay huge $$ for repairs or get rid of it. Folks, Dodge still hasn't learned.

Appearance on the outside is great.

Braking system needs improvements. Rotors are cheap. Brakes cannot handle the car. Find a new air filter cover assembly. Don't use plastic parts in the gear shift assembly. This is cheap junk!