Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Don't buy Dodge
By mboyd0026

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car in early 2008. Within the first week the car was parked and upon returning it would not start AT ALL. It had to be towed on a roll back to the dealer to fix. It took a week for them to fix a sensor issue from when it was built at the factory. Then within the next 2 months the transmission started to shift hard and at times stall. Then around 12,900 miles on it the brakes went out on the front. I was told this was normal wear and tear? To date we have replaced the shift module 4 times and the brakes 2 times. The trunk leaks and the car stalls occasionally. Airbag sensor has been out twice. And the tire pressure sensor comes off and on.

Favorite Features

The styling

Suggested Improvements

Recall the total car and fix all things wrong. This car is not safe at times to drive with the brake issues.

Never would buy this model again
By SED

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car, used, still under warranty. At 20K miles it took five trips to dealership to fix trunk leak, one week to fix shifter that was stuck in park, three weeks to fix transmission issue. Tho dealership kept taking it in to fix it, it shouldn't have had so many issues in the first place. Brakes started squealing at 20K too. Never got the gas mileage we expected. Paint started chipping off in spots.

Favorite Features

It is a sharp looking car and comfortable to sit in. AC cools down the car quickly.

Suggested Improvements

Recall on the shift lock problem, recall on the trunk leak problems

Very Disappointing. Will Never Buy Again
By amandas26

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about 3 years now and have constantly been having issues with the brakes. My power steering is about ready to go out for the second time. My radio shorted out and as soon as I got that fixed my Sirius radio quit working. Trunk leaks etc. I had a 97' Plymouth Breeze for 5 yrs. and never even had to replace the battery the whole time I owned it, I only had to get the head gasket replaced WAY after 100,000 miles. The Avenger is nowhere close to that and it already runs like a car that is 10 yrs. old. What happened Chrysler? Other than all of the mechanical problems, and hard hits to the checkbook, the car looks great! I still get compliments almost everyday.

Favorite Features

exterior, Sirius radio (when it worked)

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

Gear Shifter
By Jerry Beck

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Gear shifter became stuck in park after only 54,000 miles. Took it to the original dealership yesterday and will ask the dealer to recommend a recall on the linkage part that is causing the problem. Once located, I had to shift gears manually under the hood and get in in Drive. Once at the dealership, I had to manually put it in Park.

Favorite Features

This is the only problem that we have incurred since buying the vehicle other that the brakes squeaking when you back up. But, according to the salesman, this is natural. Right!

Suggested Improvements

Issue a recall on the transmission linkage and replace it.

Gear box
By Davis

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2008 Avenger and got in it last night and could not get it out of park. Also the trunk leaks and have not been able to understand what the problem is. On the gears had to override the safe box just to get it to the Dodge House. I am sure for one little plastic piece they are going to want me to buy a hole new gear box.

Favorite Features

The handling is great

Suggested Improvements

Stop using plastic parts