Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Love it but has flaws
By R-RAIDER

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Same as everyone else's complaints: (my car only has 30k miles), my shifter stuck in park (had to get towed), rain/snow dumps in trunk if you lift the lid too fast, turn signals get stuck and sometimes when you signal to make a turn it goes into the high beam mode. If rear passengers put their feet under drivers seat you can knock the wire harness which sets off the airbag indicator (simple fix), but I'm having problems with it stalling in the rain. Other than that. I'm a big car type person but this car not only looks sharp but is fun to drive. It handles well. Sound system rocks too.

favorite features are the stereo system (although lately my buttons when pushed don't always kick in 1st time), the body style, and the way it handles. I feel like a kid in this car again. DON'T CHANGE THE WAY IT LOOKS. this car rocks. I like it better than the charger even.

new trunk design, shifter, seats could be more comfortable,wire harness relocated from under seat

Mistake
By Upset

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought Dodge Avenger 2008 and have not been happy with it overall. I bought it on Sep 14th, and I had airbag light come on Sep 17th, for no reason at all. Its unsafe, because when air bag light is ON it means that the air bags are OFF, and I was upset about it all weekend. On Sep 20th my mechanic found the transmission fluid leakage! after driving for few days and regularly applying breaks I discovered that all 4 brake pads and the rotors need to be replaced. The actual seating is somewhat comfortable, but it rides like crap! It feels very bumpy, like the car has worn out, or no shock absorbers. I test drove it on a smooth road, now I drive it and it feels so rough. I am disappointed.

Exterior style

Bigger trunk, more comfortable sits, better shock absorbers, better blind spot view, smooth fabric for seats for easier cleaning, smooth plastic for interior hard surface covers for easier cleaning. "Darkness" sensor, so that headlights would turn on automatically. Visor mirror light won't hurt.

Don't buy Dodge
By mboyd0026

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car in early 2008. Within the first week the car was parked and upon returning it would not start AT ALL. It had to be towed on a roll back to the dealer to fix. It took a week for them to fix a sensor issue from when it was built at the factory. Then within the next 2 months the transmission started to shift hard and at times stall. Then around 12,900 miles on it the brakes went out on the front. I was told this was normal wear and tear? To date we have replaced the shift module 4 times and the brakes 2 times. The trunk leaks and the car stalls occasionally. Airbag sensor has been out twice. And the tire pressure sensor comes off and on.

The styling

Recall the total car and fix all things wrong. This car is not safe at times to drive with the brake issues.

Never would buy this model again
By SED

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car, used, still under warranty. At 20K miles it took five trips to dealership to fix trunk leak, one week to fix shifter that was stuck in park, three weeks to fix transmission issue. Tho dealership kept taking it in to fix it, it shouldn't have had so many issues in the first place. Brakes started squealing at 20K too. Never got the gas mileage we expected. Paint started chipping off in spots.

It is a sharp looking car and comfortable to sit in. AC cools down the car quickly.

Recall on the shift lock problem, recall on the trunk leak problems

Very Disappointing. Will Never Buy Again
By amandas26

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about 3 years now and have constantly been having issues with the brakes. My power steering is about ready to go out for the second time. My radio shorted out and as soon as I got that fixed my Sirius radio quit working. Trunk leaks etc. I had a 97' Plymouth Breeze for 5 yrs. and never even had to replace the battery the whole time I owned it, I only had to get the head gasket replaced WAY after 100,000 miles. The Avenger is nowhere close to that and it already runs like a car that is 10 yrs. old. What happened Chrysler? Other than all of the mechanical problems, and hard hits to the checkbook, the car looks great! I still get compliments almost everyday.

exterior, Sirius radio (when it worked)

Everything.