2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
Worst car I've owned
By TERRIBLE CAR! on 06/07/10 06:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Avenger 5 months ago and have made several repairs. #1-Rotors were shot. Replaced rotors and had rear brake drums turned. #2-Air Filter lid was too tight. Broke when I tried to replace. Dealer had to order part and fix. #3-Car died twice when I came to a stop. Dealer had to update software on the car. Finally, my car got stuck in park this weekend. Now it is in the shop to get repaired again. This car is a joke. Looks great on the outside. Made with cheap parts. NEVER buy a Dodge. I owned a Stratus before & didn't learn my lesson. As soon as I paid off my Stratus the transmission went out. I could either pay huge $$ for repairs or get rid of it. Folks, Dodge still hasn't learned.

In the Shop
By Cris on 06/02/10 19:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought in 2008 and it was in the shop three times in the first 6 weeks from a problem created by the dealer - failed to re-install the headliner correctly. Within 1 year, air conditioner failed due to a broken fan - that one took three tripe to two different dealer to fix. Now back in the shop at 27K miles with another fan failure. Also the passenger side window does not work and the transmission makes a horrid noise when it down shifts. Looks great, gas mileage is incredible (as high as 33 MPG on the highway), but can not rely on it. Dealer service departments in the area are fairly incompetent which does not help.

A Very Cool Nana's Avenger
By sportynana on 04/19/10 19:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

At age 63, I LOVE this car as it feels real 'sporty' to drive - even at my age! I've only owned it for 5 months - it has only 16,000 miles on it and so far, no troubles. It gets very good mileage - even around town. It's very easy to park the car (I had a van b/4 and had a very difficult time parking and backing up). It's just plain fun to drive and the gorgeous 'blue' color and 'spoiler' on the trunk is terrific!

Head-turner in Europe
By Paganarh on 04/14/10 05:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased as new on June of 09, so not even year old, but I'm really enjoying driving this car. Its smooth and relaxed, but doesn't object when you floor it to overtake another car on the freeway. Mind you, 2,4 is already to the "big" side, as far as engines go in Europe on middle class sedans. Only bone to pick is that "chill zone" a bit useless for me, darkening rear mirror works only when somebody is really riding your tail and default battery is weak- couldn't get car started when outside was "only" -20C/-4F, gonna change it for next winter. Other than that, I love this car and it really stands out amongst plain European and eastern cars around me. And there's only 4 Avengers in Estonia

Not impressed
By Jill on 04/13/10 12:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this avenger new off the lot and I have not been happy with many of the features. I drive for work and spend a lot of time inside my car. The second cup holder is located slightly under the console/armrest and it makes it difficult to use. At 50,000 miles my radio now occasionally shorts out. I also had a problem that it was just suddenly dying at stoplights however a factory computer update did solve this problem. It runs well otherwise, the net like seats are difficult to clean because small crumbs get stuck under this material. No repairs yet, but the interior space just seems crowded with supplies and the trunk lacks good space as well.

Front Seats
By Slrozel on 04/10/10 09:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love everything about my Avenger BUT, boy are the seats uncomfortable. They are so uncomfortable that I had to rig up some padding. They actually make my back hurt so bad that if traveling any distance, I have trouble walking. I think it puts pressure on a nerve in my lower back. Does the same thing to my husband who's almost 1 foot taller than me. It's not like a T- shirt where you keep the receipt and take it back if it doesn't fit. Also, the 4 cyl. is very sluggish in the low end but once it gets going it performs pretty good.

Just a Blast
By dragin19 on 03/14/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and i purchased this car new, in April of 07. Our first trip was half way across the country in may of 07. it was fantastic. we experienced minor issues with stalling and such but a reprogramming of the transmission controller fixed that. We purchased the 2.7l v6 and wow, it accelerates like no buddies business, with 18" rims and the touring suspension it rides great. The stereo is great just wish now that we had opted for the MyGig system (60gig hd). The fuel economy is great to for the car, nearly 33mph on long highway trips, and so so city, about 19+.

2.7lL V-6 SXT
By Avenger08 on 03/13/10 23:51 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car for my wife, traded in my 2004 chevy classic. Car has good features like sport appearance package with fog lamps and a spoiler, moon roof and climate control, tire pressure monitor and compass all really nice, just wish it had abs brakes and traction control for Illinois winters. Two biggest complaints are 1. very hard to see out the back window which makes it difficult in parking lots. 2. Transmissions shifts funky if not allowed to warm up for 5 minutes even during the summer. y wife took it on a 5000 mile trip and averaged 32 mpg, but city driving usually results in 15-18 mpg and normal highway driving is about 27-29 mpg. would buy the charger next time.

Pretty good car
By fidesetratio on 02/25/10 20:37 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the Avenger now for about 8 months and it's really nice. All the negative things that Edmunds says aren't entirely true. It's pretty powerful for a 4 cylinder and being so heavy, we're not drag racing it, it accelerates and merges onto the highway just fine. I haven't had any problems with it not starting or cutting out, actually I've had no mechanical problems at all with it. All around, it's a solid midsize car. Great on gas, (just took it 1400 miles on highway, 32mpg average) looks good, has plenty of room and feels right at home on the highway. It is heavy, so you cant take a 90 degree turn at 40, thats just unsafe anyways. If you're commuter with a family, it's a great car!

more improvement needed
By mossygalaxy on 01/16/10 21:37 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

i bought my dodge avenger on 12/24/08, likes the body style, drives smooth but the car stopped like twice in middle of driving without warning, still confused about that b/c i don't have the owner manual. Also i will like to know the type of gas the car uses{ie unleaded,super or premium}b/c it is not mentioned any where in my car, p/s reply on review if you can help . be bless,

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.