Used 2008 Dodge Avenger SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

amazing.
By chrisbates

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

So I guess I'm the only person who had no problems with this car. I bought it used at the end of 2009 with 30k miles (it was a company car for its previous owners) the only thing that was wrong was the plastic that covers the spedometer had a crack, that didn't effect visibility. It was just a crack. I drove this car daily and love it I had the SE so only a 4 cylinder. But it was enough to have a quick start and handled great for me. I made plenty of 1000 mile trips and was great. I skidded on ice and smashed into the side wall twice at 80mph and walked away without a problem. This car is amazing and it saved my life. The trunk never leaked and I had no problems at all. I loved this car.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Feels light even with the 4 cylinder. Saved my freaking life. Good on gas. Basically everything with the car was awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic inside? It didn't bug me. Just it would make it feels fancier I guess.

What a disappointment
By lisajanern

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 08 Avenger used with only 20,000 miles on it-what I thought was going to be a huge improvement on my old beater. At 44,000 miles out of the blue the shifter was stuck in park (yes, I put my foot on the brake!). Apparently there was a recall for this reason and I was NEVER notified. Even though it was covered under warranty AND the recall the dealership was incredibly difficult to work with. Other than that, it runs and handles well. The interior is cheaply made and it shows. Low quality plastic all around. Seats are uncomfortable, especially for long trips and blind spots are literally big enough to fit a semi truck in.

Favorite Features

Very responsive handling. Great stock radio/sound system. Pretty powerful car for the money.

Not quite sure yet
By incubritt2010

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car in Oct 2011. No significant problems so far. It shutters a bit between 35-50. No explaination for that. I got a transmission flush last week and that helped significantly. It also has a bit of trouble starting once in awhile after I put gas in it. It always starts, though. My service engine light came on last week, and they told me it was a large evap leak? My gas cap was fine, so there could be a small crack in my vapor hose. Nothing major. My mechanic suggested some new spark plugs as well. Other than that, I really have no complaints about this car so far. My trunk does not leak, btw, since I saw that was a common complaint.

Favorite Features

Smooth and quiet ride Gas Mileage (traded in a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe for this car, I've saved a significant amount in gas!) Rims Dash cooler (extra glove box) Backseat armrest and cup holder Large and spacious Large, spacy front end (my mechanic told me this is a very easy car to work on because of all the room under the hood) I was happy about that. The easier it is for them to access parts, the less labor costs/time if things need to be worked on!

Suggested Improvements

Boring interior/dashboard (not like this is a big deal, but my first impression of the car left me less than impressed) It's just boxy, sqaure, and plain. I also do not have a temperature indicator in my car, which I loved in my Sante Fe and was dissapointed this car did not have that being a 2008 model. Blind spot - you'll need to rely a lot on your side mirrors. The decorative little triangles in the back window and high headrests make a nice wall of blindness. Seats are a bit uncomfortable, but not terrible

Nice look to attract but a money pit once you have it
By lory3

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate this car. It has been the worst car I have ever had not because of its looks,inner or outer looks but because it is just junk. Created junk to get money out of people period. Since getting this car we have been having one electrical problem after another one this is just ridiculous. Never would I have thought Dodge could have created such a junk. I just want to get over it as it is completely unreliable since it leaves my husband everywhere and we have to be pulling it to auto shops to try and see what the heck is wrong with it over and over again. Of course so much money goes into this. Please people do not get such a car unless you want to throw your money away. Completely unreliabl

Favorite Features

Just how it looks and how spacious it is inside but the important thing should be to drive it and if unable to drive it what do I need it for

Suggested Improvements

Electrical problems really need to be improved one hundred percent they should have gotten someone completely reliable and accredited to put that together, who did they get to create this piece of junk that now occupies space in my driveway without moving or going out every month?Junk Junk Junk, I truly trusted dodge as I had gotten my first car from them and it proved to be reliable, which is my first and main concern with it. This is the last time I ever acquire one of their vehicles. Again do not be dum like I was.

It Is What It Is
By notimeatall

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Recently bought a base model 08 Avenger with ABS for my kids to drive. They've already totaled one vehicle so I was looking for something safe and inexpensive. While I would never have bought the Avenger new, this car has worked out very well for us. Key points for us were: Safety - IIHS Top Safety pick. Check out the side impact videos on IIHS's site. Cost - We bought this vehicle for $7000 less than a comparable mileage 08 Honda Accord would have cost. I don't expect it to last like a Honda, but we only expect 6K miles per year, and the $7000 will buy a lot of nuisance repairs! I would not, however, have considered the $20K for new one - they DO depreciate FAST

Favorite Features

Safety. Stereo. Styling (love it or hate it, at least it HAS some styling, compared to 90% of the other mid-sized sedans out there). I'm not a huge fan of Dodge's recent styling trend, but it is much better than nothing at all in this department.

Suggested Improvements

In a used car for the purpose for which we bought it, can't make any suggestions.