Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

400,000 MILES AND GOING STRONG
By David Smith

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my daughter after she got divorced in 2013. The car already had 331,000 miles on it. I knew the owner so I had a complete history. Except for normal maintenance the only thing he had to do was a transmission solenoid because it was starting to leak. We have spent some money on it this year: i.e; shocks,struts, tie rods, wheel bearing, brakes, tires, an oil pan and the alternator finally went. Not bad for the mileage and certainly expected. The car gets 90,000 miles out of tires, drives great in the snow and on the highway, She has put over 70,000 miles on it in two years with my granddaughter in a car seat the whole way. It is the original motor and transmission. The 2.4 in 2008 went to a timing chain so no maintenance there. I work in a shop. I never see these for major repairs. I agree with some people that the interior is a bit cheap looking. Dodge did major improvements on their interiors in 2010. The styling is very attractive on the exterior. Like a mini 08 Charger. That being said I am a pragmatist. Dependability is more important to me. My lowest mileage car has 142,000 and we cover almost every make. It still is my favorite. At 404,000 miles the car shows no sign of slowing down and believe me, my daughter is not what you would call an easy driver. My youngest son totaled his car. Guess what I'm looking for now?

Great for the price and looks
By Aaron Davis

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had the car for a little over 2 months, but I really do love it considering I upgraded from a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT. But sadly enough my neon was smaller yet the avenger yields about the same gas mileage so that's a plus but odd enough my neon was faster than this lug of a car. 2.4L 4cyl engine just isn't enough to haul the weight of the car.. If I was buying this car i'd recommend getting the 2.7L or 3.5L. It doesn't have the performance I was expecting but I like the sleek performance look though and get compliments on it especially since mine has 17' Challenger rims on it. But it is a great family car I would say. Also nice that it has Sirius Radio and the cooler for 4 cans of soda which is pretty neat.

Death Trap
By scle0501

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was in a severe accident and hurt very badly - not a single airbag went off. No recalls on the VIN, just a terribly unsafe vehicle.

improve on safety.

amazing.
By chrisbates

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

So I guess I'm the only person who had no problems with this car. I bought it used at the end of 2009 with 30k miles (it was a company car for its previous owners) the only thing that was wrong was the plastic that covers the spedometer had a crack, that didn't effect visibility. It was just a crack. I drove this car daily and love it I had the SE so only a 4 cylinder. But it was enough to have a quick start and handled great for me. I made plenty of 1000 mile trips and was great. I skidded on ice and smashed into the side wall twice at 80mph and walked away without a problem. This car is amazing and it saved my life. The trunk never leaked and I had no problems at all. I loved this car.

Looks great. Feels light even with the 4 cylinder. Saved my freaking life. Good on gas. Basically everything with the car was awesome.

Less plastic inside? It didn't bug me. Just it would make it feels fancier I guess.

nice car
By jseve

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

You :)Bought this car new and drive to 77000 miles. The only problem was a radio replaced under warranty due to bad hard drive. Other than that tires and brakes. I'm 6'4" and had no trouble fitting in this car, I liked the heated stain resistant seats. My current vehicle is a 2010 avenger R/T, 3.5 L. This is a great car absolutely no problems, finally had to put brakes on the front at 90,000 miles. Both err r than tires and windshield wipers this car starts and drives like the day I took it off the lot new.

Love the heated seats and the v-6 on my 2010. Loved the stain resistant seats on my 2008 set. Both of them handle great.

Dash plastic Scratches easily and could be higher quality.

• SUV