2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
Awesome car.
By mbdude92 on 09/27/12 07:57 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a Certified Pre-Owned about a year ago. This has been a fantastic car, I bought it with 61k miles on it and within a year I put 22k miles on it doing mostly highway commuting to college and and work and occasional shopping trips an hour away. Haven't had to do anything mechanically to the car other than the oil and filter change every three thousand miles. I have the 2.7l V6 SXT version.. gets average about 25 city/hwy.. do more highway driving and I'll get about 28. Highly recommend for someone who wants reliability, sport look, and a cheap price.

Anyone else?
By sonya08 on 09/23/12 14:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my dodge when I first bought it. I have driven it a year and 8 months and have started have some sort of problem that I do not know what is going on. I can be just driving down the road and car shuts off. Sometimes it will crank back and sometimes not. It just dies while driving down the road. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I had to have it towed one time and the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong. Someone please shed some light on this for me.

Great little Dodge
By superuser1 on 09/19/12 20:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I absolutely love my Avenger R/T AWD I have had no problems at all and have put around 11000 miles in about a year (now 62000 miles) This car is fun to drive and gets alot of compliments.

What a disappointment
By lisajanern on 06/29/12 15:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 08 Avenger used with only 20,000 miles on it-what I thought was going to be a huge improvement on my old beater. At 44,000 miles out of the blue the shifter was stuck in park (yes, I put my foot on the brake!). Apparently there was a recall for this reason and I was NEVER notified. Even though it was covered under warranty AND the recall the dealership was incredibly difficult to work with. Other than that, it runs and handles well. The interior is cheaply made and it shows. Low quality plastic all around. Seats are uncomfortable, especially for long trips and blind spots are literally big enough to fit a semi truck in.

Dodge This and other Dodge Bullets
By nfs on 03/15/12 14:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a 2008 Dodge Avenger Red SXT. Lets start 2010 Transmission problems my miles are over warranty. 2011 Check engine light stays on. 2011 clear coat starts to bubble and peal from spoiler. 2012 paint is bubbling on the hood when Dodge was notified stated they may not cover it that a rock could cause the paint to bubble. Dodge keeps Dodging the bullet on car issues. Last Dodge and Chrysler vehicle I will be buying. Look up on the internet about Dodge vehicles paint bubbling on vehicle hoods then you decide.

Not quite sure yet
By incubritt2010 on 03/12/12 15:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car in Oct 2011. No significant problems so far. It shutters a bit between 35-50. No explaination for that. I got a transmission flush last week and that helped significantly. It also has a bit of trouble starting once in awhile after I put gas in it. It always starts, though. My service engine light came on last week, and they told me it was a large evap leak? My gas cap was fine, so there could be a small crack in my vapor hose. Nothing major. My mechanic suggested some new spark plugs as well. Other than that, I really have no complaints about this car so far. My trunk does not leak, btw, since I saw that was a common complaint.

iffy at first
By bradord28 on 01/28/12 10:16 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this dodge avenger in jan of 08 and pretty much bought for the lifetime warranty. Well a couple months down the road it needed brakes they wanted the rotors and pads to be replaced after 13kyeah right i replaced the pads myself and have the same rotors still. The next problem was the paint on the rear quarter panel in the lower corner behind the back door needed to be repainted after 15k. brought back to dealership they told me design flaw dodge wanted nothing to do with it. but dealer offered to split fix and make better. i thought oh boy this car is going to be a money pit. now has 130k miles and knock on wood have had little problems since. overall greatbuy lifetime warranty

Its a matter of taste
By demikarr on 01/04/12 10:03 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a used vehicle with 38k miles on it. 10 months later I now have 75k miles. Not one issue with the maintenance (except for the brakes) or performance. Mileage is outstanding with normal 28mpg average in combined city/hwy settings. I am 6'4" tall and have no problem with comfort. I have taken 5 on a 200 mile trip with minimal discomfort...

Nice look to attract but a money pit once you have it
By lory3 on 12/17/11 10:54 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate this car. It has been the worst car I have ever had not because of its looks,inner or outer looks but because it is just junk. Created junk to get money out of people period. Since getting this car we have been having one electrical problem after another one this is just ridiculous. Never would I have thought Dodge could have created such a junk. I just want to get over it as it is completely unreliable since it leaves my husband everywhere and we have to be pulling it to auto shops to try and see what the heck is wrong with it over and over again. Of course so much money goes into this. Please people do not get such a car unless you want to throw your money away. Completely unreliabl

Just don't do it
By neverbuydodge on 11/10/11 14:06 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my car new in Sept '08. Radio has been replaced 3 times now! First time the CD player refused to open/eject. 2nd time the radio mysteriously erased my collection of over 300 songs I'd downloaded, and stopped loading my pics. 3rd time the radio started acting odd, then just died altogether. That was finally replaced with a "new" radio, on which the screen now randomly goes completely black so that you can't use the touch screen at all, and most of the buttons are on the touch screen. Tires were cracking and had to be replaced at around 30,000 miles. Transmission has a leak now. Dealership and Corporate both were a pain to deal with, very frustrating!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan in WA is:

$165 per month*