2008 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
What a disappointment
By lisajanern on 06/29/12 15:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 08 Avenger used with only 20,000 miles on it-what I thought was going to be a huge improvement on my old beater. At 44,000 miles out of the blue the shifter was stuck in park (yes, I put my foot on the brake!). Apparently there was a recall for this reason and I was NEVER notified. Even though it was covered under warranty AND the recall the dealership was incredibly difficult to work with. Other than that, it runs and handles well. The interior is cheaply made and it shows. Low quality plastic all around. Seats are uncomfortable, especially for long trips and blind spots are literally big enough to fit a semi truck in.

Not quite sure yet
By incubritt2010 on 03/12/12 15:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car in Oct 2011. No significant problems so far. It shutters a bit between 35-50. No explaination for that. I got a transmission flush last week and that helped significantly. It also has a bit of trouble starting once in awhile after I put gas in it. It always starts, though. My service engine light came on last week, and they told me it was a large evap leak? My gas cap was fine, so there could be a small crack in my vapor hose. Nothing major. My mechanic suggested some new spark plugs as well. Other than that, I really have no complaints about this car so far. My trunk does not leak, btw, since I saw that was a common complaint.

Nice look to attract but a money pit once you have it
By lory3 on 12/17/11 10:54 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate this car. It has been the worst car I have ever had not because of its looks,inner or outer looks but because it is just junk. Created junk to get money out of people period. Since getting this car we have been having one electrical problem after another one this is just ridiculous. Never would I have thought Dodge could have created such a junk. I just want to get over it as it is completely unreliable since it leaves my husband everywhere and we have to be pulling it to auto shops to try and see what the heck is wrong with it over and over again. Of course so much money goes into this. Please people do not get such a car unless you want to throw your money away. Completely unreliabl

It Is What It Is
By notimeatall on 10/17/11 09:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Recently bought a base model 08 Avenger with ABS for my kids to drive. They've already totaled one vehicle so I was looking for something safe and inexpensive. While I would never have bought the Avenger new, this car has worked out very well for us. Key points for us were: Safety - IIHS Top Safety pick. Check out the side impact videos on IIHS's site. Cost - We bought this vehicle for $7000 less than a comparable mileage 08 Honda Accord would have cost. I don't expect it to last like a Honda, but we only expect 6K miles per year, and the $7000 will buy a lot of nuisance repairs! I would not, however, have considered the $20K for new one - they DO depreciate FAST

Bad choice
By badinvestment on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car style nice that's it. Car sound like lawn mower with bad gas, from the time taking off lot nothing but problems. Tire air leak often due to bad tire sensors which was recall and never repaired properly finally had to remove sensors to prevent from putting air in tire every 2 days. 2 sets of brakes, air condition went out, pulley belts, oil pan cracked, interior cheap, paint chips on front hood bubbling on hood and bumper chipping not considered part of warranty low resale owed more than value finally did voluntary repo credit score crashed but I am ok free from nightmare.

Love it but has flaws
By R-RAIDER on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Same as everyone else's complaints: (my car only has 30k miles), my shifter stuck in park (had to get towed), rain/snow dumps in trunk if you lift the lid too fast, turn signals get stuck and sometimes when you signal to make a turn it goes into the high beam mode. If rear passengers put their feet under drivers seat you can knock the wire harness which sets off the airbag indicator (simple fix), but I'm having problems with it stalling in the rain. Other than that. I'm a big car type person but this car not only looks sharp but is fun to drive. It handles well. Sound system rocks too.

Never would buy this model again
By SED on 09/05/10 06:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car, used, still under warranty. At 20K miles it took five trips to dealership to fix trunk leak, one week to fix shifter that was stuck in park, three weeks to fix transmission issue. Tho dealership kept taking it in to fix it, it shouldn't have had so many issues in the first place. Brakes started squealing at 20K too. Never got the gas mileage we expected. Paint started chipping off in spots.

Gear Shifter
By Jerry Beck on 08/22/10 17:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Gear shifter became stuck in park after only 54,000 miles. Took it to the original dealership yesterday and will ask the dealer to recommend a recall on the linkage part that is causing the problem. Once located, I had to shift gears manually under the hood and get in in Drive. Once at the dealership, I had to manually put it in Park.

Gear box
By Davis on 08/13/10 09:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2008 Avenger and got in it last night and could not get it out of park. Also the trunk leaks and have not been able to understand what the problem is. On the gears had to override the safe box just to get it to the Dodge House. I am sure for one little plastic piece they are going to want me to buy a hole new gear box.

Worst car I've owned
By TERRIBLE CAR! on 06/07/10 06:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Avenger 5 months ago and have made several repairs. #1-Rotors were shot. Replaced rotors and had rear brake drums turned. #2-Air Filter lid was too tight. Broke when I tried to replace. Dealer had to order part and fix. #3-Car died twice when I came to a stop. Dealer had to update software on the car. Finally, my car got stuck in park this weekend. Now it is in the shop to get repaired again. This car is a joke. Looks great on the outside. Made with cheap parts. NEVER buy a Dodge. I owned a Stratus before & didn't learn my lesson. As soon as I paid off my Stratus the transmission went out. I could either pay huge $$ for repairs or get rid of it. Folks, Dodge still hasn't learned.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.