Used 1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Has run like a champ
By Chip Wade

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 11k miles. Has run great and always been reliable. Just now starting to need engine work, 6 years later. Either it goes through brake pads quickly or I do.ha I do have some nasty paint oxidation but the may be thanks to the Missouri DOT and their salt. Have broken both door handles twice. Do not take to the dealer to fix them they charge $100's when you can buy and replace yourself for $40 and a couple of beers. Overall, great car. Great for tall people like myself. I have heard and witnessed shorter people not being able to check blind spots very well. No real complaints. But time for a new car. Great car for a high school kid's 1st car these days.

Very comfortable and roomy. Sits four people very well for being a 2-DR.

Engine is hard to work with since most general maintenance items are behind the manifold. This is the reason taking it to mechanics is so high priced. Easy to do yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.z

Thank goodness for mopar "Mo"!
By Jewels

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well, I actually just got into a serious accident with this car. Poor Mo (I always name my cars) was writen off when a lady hit me after failing to stop for a stop sign. The car is in rough shape! I walked away with literally only a bruise to speak of. The car saved me! I mean I loved this car, how could you not? This is one hot lookin' car! Even though it was eight years old I always had people stopping and asking me about my car, commenting on how the exhaust sounded or how the engine purred. Now begins the hunt to find another Avenger.

SAFE! Styling, stock speakers (I even had a professional stereo install guy tell me they were awesome for stock!), comfortable to drive, fun to drive (mainly because you know it's a hot car!).

For sure the power under the hood could have been improved to make this the ultimate car!

I love my gorgeous Avenger ES coupe!!!
By Danielle B.

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger in September of this year, and I have loved every second of owning this car. I have had no problems at all with it, and I hope I never do. It has 99,000 miles on it, and it runs great. It drives great, looks awesome, and the interior is so comfortable. I have seriously almost fallen asleep in the seats before. I am also impressed with the fuel economy. I couldn't have been happier with any other car.

Oh gosh, where do I begin?? lol I love the exterior styling of the car, the power sunroof, the leather seats, and the roomy interior. I also love the paint color of mine- it's a cranberry color(or maroon, whatever you want to call it).

Umm, probably the foggy headlights. If you buy new ones, it will cost you about $350 each. I had mine cleaned with a chemical from a mechanic for $100 for both; and they look great- like new headlights.

Good car, but some problems
By KatyW

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is essentially a great car, except for two major problems. First, the door handles break off. BOTH of my handles broke within a year of having the car! I personally know two other people who have had this happen to them, and I see other Avengers on the road with messed up handles all the time. It's not a cheap problem to fix, either ($250/door without paint!). Which brings me to the second problem: the paint. Almost every black Avenger I see is oxidized like crazy - my entire trunk is now white, and the roof isn't far behind (even though I waxed it regularly and kept it in covered parking).

Sporty looks, performance, no mechanical problems (so far), very comfortable, good standard features, well designed interior.

Obviously, the cheap, flimsy door handles, and the bad paint job.

awsome car