Used 1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Looks awesome, fun to drive!
By aresauburn

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

A great car that is very fun to drive. The 6 cylinder sounds good, but I wish late 90's cars such as these made more power. However, if you treat this car well, keep it maintained routinely, it will run reliably and look awesome!

The Avenger looks great, stock muffler sounds good, the suspension is good, and all-around is an awesome car! Also, easy to modify and add on to. Acceleration is powerful and distinct. The car looks fast and sometimes sounds like it could be faster than it is. The paint colors are nice too.

The automatic transmission was pretty much a dud for many of these cars. Many plastics on this car have issues (headlights fog with UV haze, interior center console plastic cracks and breaks). I wish the V6 made closer to 200 horses, to make up for my stock Avenger only getting about 15 mpg.

Better than Eclipse
By Misti

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last year at a buy here pay here lot. You can tell it had had a rough life because of some damage. We took this car under our wing and started with a few minor repairs. In no time we had this car looking good. As far as the motor goes, oh my gosh, blows away the Eclipse. My boyfriend absolutely loves this car. The power is amazing! It has 180,000 miles on it and still running strong.

Power, interior, exterior

Better door handles. My boyfriend barely opened the door and the handle came off in his hand

Avenger
By Joy

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger over a year ago and have loved it. I have 115000 miles on it. I love the front, how fast and sporty it looks. It is very comfortable and I've only had to do minimal repairs. The door handles are a problem. I'm developing a kind of shudder when the car shifts now. I'm looking into the cause.

The hood and front end, interior styling, v6 engine. Roomy backseat. The fact that my friend with a Civic and with an Eclipse wont race me in either.

Door handles, cupholders, tilt steering needs more room to adjust. Door storage area isn't big enough to hold anything. Foggy headlights

Has run like a champ
By Chip Wade

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 11k miles. Has run great and always been reliable. Just now starting to need engine work, 6 years later. Either it goes through brake pads quickly or I do.ha I do have some nasty paint oxidation but the may be thanks to the Missouri DOT and their salt. Have broken both door handles twice. Do not take to the dealer to fix them they charge $100's when you can buy and replace yourself for $40 and a couple of beers. Overall, great car. Great for tall people like myself. I have heard and witnessed shorter people not being able to check blind spots very well. No real complaints. But time for a new car. Great car for a high school kid's 1st car these days.

Very comfortable and roomy. Sits four people very well for being a 2-DR.

Engine is hard to work with since most general maintenance items are behind the manifold. This is the reason taking it to mechanics is so high priced. Easy to do yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.z

Thank goodness for mopar "Mo"!
By Jewels

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well, I actually just got into a serious accident with this car. Poor Mo (I always name my cars) was writen off when a lady hit me after failing to stop for a stop sign. The car is in rough shape! I walked away with literally only a bruise to speak of. The car saved me! I mean I loved this car, how could you not? This is one hot lookin' car! Even though it was eight years old I always had people stopping and asking me about my car, commenting on how the exhaust sounded or how the engine purred. Now begins the hunt to find another Avenger.

SAFE! Styling, stock speakers (I even had a professional stereo install guy tell me they were awesome for stock!), comfortable to drive, fun to drive (mainly because you know it's a hot car!).

For sure the power under the hood could have been improved to make this the ultimate car!