Used 1998 Dodge Avenger Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Questions
By kdub

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

My door handle broke and I see almost everyone else's has too! Other than that the car really is awesome!

Favorite Features

styling look!!! sound of stereo and exhaust

Suggested Improvements

door handles and a little more power under the hood!

Expensive to repair
By LeoV

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought mine used with 125000 miles on it, owned it for a year, the private party i bought it from didnt tell me that the water pump needed replacement@$700.00 (they have to lift the engine to replace it). Head gasket was gone, window buttons fell apart, clearcoat on paint peeled, front struts break, leaks oil everywhere, luckily i was able to trade it in for what i bought it for, ($1100.00).

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great handling.

Suggested Improvements

interior can be much more comfortable, this car is a spin off of many other dodge/mitsubishi cars, eclips, sebring, just to name a couple. this one was thrown together without thought.

Best Car Ever
By Best Car Ever

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car from a lady in 03 with 67,000 miles on it. I now have 140,000 and it is still going strong. The only problem I had, was the ball joint broke, but Dodge fixed it. My car is a 4 cylinder 5 speed which is faster and quicker than the auto 6 cylinder. The car handles like a dream and rides perfect. Gas mileage is about 30 miles on the hwy and 22 in town. Run this car till it dies, probably buy another new Dodge avenger because of this one!

Favorite Features

Looks...obviously the front end is very wicked on this car, looks similar to the Viper!

Suggested Improvements

The tilt steering. Wish it had just the wheel part move and not the whole thing! Makes upgrades for the tail lights. You can get Altezza lights for a Neon, but not an Avenger? Come on! I have the euro head lights but now the tail lights don't match!

Has run like a champ
By Chip Wade

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 11k miles. Has run great and always been reliable. Just now starting to need engine work, 6 years later. Either it goes through brake pads quickly or I do.ha I do have some nasty paint oxidation but the may be thanks to the Missouri DOT and their salt. Have broken both door handles twice. Do not take to the dealer to fix them they charge $100's when you can buy and replace yourself for $40 and a couple of beers. Overall, great car. Great for tall people like myself. I have heard and witnessed shorter people not being able to check blind spots very well. No real complaints. But time for a new car. Great car for a high school kid's 1st car these days.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and roomy. Sits four people very well for being a 2-DR.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is hard to work with since most general maintenance items are behind the manifold. This is the reason taking it to mechanics is so high priced. Easy to do yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.z

Thank goodness for mopar "Mo"!
By Jewels

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well, I actually just got into a serious accident with this car. Poor Mo (I always name my cars) was writen off when a lady hit me after failing to stop for a stop sign. The car is in rough shape! I walked away with literally only a bruise to speak of. The car saved me! I mean I loved this car, how could you not? This is one hot lookin' car! Even though it was eight years old I always had people stopping and asking me about my car, commenting on how the exhaust sounded or how the engine purred. Now begins the hunt to find another Avenger.

Favorite Features

SAFE! Styling, stock speakers (I even had a professional stereo install guy tell me they were awesome for stock!), comfortable to drive, fun to drive (mainly because you know it's a hot car!).

Suggested Improvements

For sure the power under the hood could have been improved to make this the ultimate car!