Used 1998 Dodge Avenger ES Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Most Helpful|
Great Diamond-Star
By johnho

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Original owner of a rare ES with 2.0L 5-speed. Had to wait six months just for the factory to build it!!! 140,000 salt-free miles and the paint looks great. Best of all I get 32MPG in mixed driving. Still love the interior cockpit layout and the clean yet aggressive exterior styling. I only wish today's Moper had something that could replace it if I wanted a new car. Other than the usual wear items,my only problem was a reoccurring hesitation issue at low RPMs starting around 90,000 miles;tried everything to fix it! The dealer tried to tell me I babied it too much and caused carbon build-up on the valves? Nope! Recently replaced the crank sensor and that seems to have taken care of it.

Favorite Features

Overall design; still looks contemporary a decade later. 2 doors with reasonable room. Great gas mileage with the manual transmission. Fun to drive; corners like it's on rails. Awesome Infinity factory sound system! I used to call my car a $20,000 life support system for my stereo :-)

Suggested Improvements

It's a well laid out car except for a few bad engineering/design features: it has a semi-like turning radius, in- our-lap "tilt" steering, poor cupholders, illuminated cigarette lighter but no illuminated ignition?, easily blown Infinity speakers, and pitted/peeling rims.

The truth...
By ptr1ck

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car 2 years ago, it has been great. I now have almost 150,000 on the ticker and its still going strong. Could use some more power but overall its really not as bad as many want to say. I am about to purchase a BMW and am sad to see this car go. I have had some issue with the sun roof popping but I don't even want to mess with that.

Favorite Features

Power Seats, 30mpg

Suggested Improvements

More power, more cup holders

Dodge sucks! or atleast the avenger does
By dodgesuck

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car is what made me decide to never buy a dodge again. I'm amazed if a month goes by and I don't have an expensive repair bill waiting for me. Cons: Steering problems are my biggest complaint- I had to replace front ball bearings after just 35,000 miles, lower control arms had to be replace on driver side, and now both front struts need to be replaced. Also it has a poor turning radius. The distributor cap and rotor needed replacing (car stopped starting). Rotors also warped on me, but I know that isn't dodges fault, just basic maintenance. Poor handling in snow, hard to see out of rear window, and I would go on but I'm running out of characters remaining. Owned for 2 years 20k miles

Favorite Features

Car is not that common (I know why), and is actually a pretty good looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Expect problems
By stottsbc

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

The car parts were not designed to last forever. If you own one it's very obvious. But if you are into making any car modifications then this car is an excellent choice! To buy this car now, you're not gonna pay a fortune, and you can enjoy making this a beautiful and fun car.

Favorite Features

The design was well thought of

Suggested Improvements

Higher parts quality!

WELL WELL WELL
By MILLA

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Well I have had my Dodge for about 5 yrs now. Bought it with 120k on it now it has 185k. Was ok I guess. I replaced the tranny computer 2 yrs ago and done someother stuff. As in my strut broke blah... I am giving the beast up tho very soon. Its on it last leg. I have to give it some credit. I drove it hard and didnt treat it very Nice. It lasted for the money. Ive been reading some of these reviews. I havent had my handles break but I have the oxidation all over. Super annoying... And the turning radius is worse then a semi truck. But other then that it was a good car for lil old me. Now on to bigger and better things. Sad to see it go : (

Favorite Features

Power everything. The look of it was Nice as well. I really liked it and it lasted me a long time seeing as I got it so cheap and the way I drove it and how many miles it had on it when I bought it. It was comfortable and jus a really Nice car.

Suggested Improvements

The blind spots seeing as I'm small. The oxidation. The turning radius. My headlights are like burned or something so I have basically no head lights. Ohhh p. S. Guys! There was a recall on the ball joint thing! So go get urs fixed for free!