1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
Dodge sucks! or atleast the avenger does
By dodgesuck on 04/18/11 13:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car is what made me decide to never buy a dodge again. I'm amazed if a month goes by and I don't have an expensive repair bill waiting for me. Cons: Steering problems are my biggest complaint- I had to replace front ball bearings after just 35,000 miles, lower control arms had to be replace on driver side, and now both front struts need to be replaced. Also it has a poor turning radius. The distributor cap and rotor needed replacing (car stopped starting). Rotors also warped on me, but I know that isn't dodges fault, just basic maintenance. Poor handling in snow, hard to see out of rear window, and I would go on but I'm running out of characters remaining. Owned for 2 years 20k miles

Questions
By kdub on 05/20/10 18:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

My door handle broke and I see almost everyone else's has too! Other than that the car really is awesome!

The truth...
By ptr1ck on 12/18/09 17:48 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car 2 years ago, it has been great. I now have almost 150,000 on the ticker and its still going strong. Could use some more power but overall its really not as bad as many want to say. I am about to purchase a BMW and am sad to see this car go. I have had some issue with the sun roof popping but I don't even want to mess with that.

Great Diamond-Star
By johnho on 08/07/09 23:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Original owner of a rare ES with 2.0L 5-speed. Had to wait six months just for the factory to build it!!! 140,000 salt-free miles and the paint looks great. Best of all I get 32MPG in mixed driving. Still love the interior cockpit layout and the clean yet aggressive exterior styling. I only wish today's Moper had something that could replace it if I wanted a new car. Other than the usual wear items,my only problem was a reoccurring hesitation issue at low RPMs starting around 90,000 miles;tried everything to fix it! The dealer tried to tell me I babied it too much and caused carbon build-up on the valves? Nope! Recently replaced the crank sensor and that seems to have taken care of it.

Expensive to repair
By LeoV on 07/29/09 02:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought mine used with 125000 miles on it, owned it for a year, the private party i bought it from didnt tell me that the water pump needed replacement@$700.00 (they have to lift the engine to replace it). Head gasket was gone, window buttons fell apart, clearcoat on paint peeled, front struts break, leaks oil everywhere, luckily i was able to trade it in for what i bought it for, ($1100.00).

WELL WELL WELL
By MILLA on 04/14/09 14:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Well I have had my Dodge for about 5 yrs now. Bought it with 120k on it now it has 185k. Was ok I guess. I replaced the tranny computer 2 yrs ago and done someother stuff. As in my strut broke blah... I am giving the beast up tho very soon. Its on it last leg. I have to give it some credit. I drove it hard and didnt treat it very Nice. It lasted for the money. Ive been reading some of these reviews. I havent had my handles break but I have the oxidation all over. Super annoying... And the turning radius is worse then a semi truck. But other then that it was a good car for lil old me. Now on to bigger and better things. Sad to see it go : (

Expect problems
By stottsbc on 01/21/09 17:06 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

The car parts were not designed to last forever. If you own one it's very obvious. But if you are into making any car modifications then this car is an excellent choice! To buy this car now, you're not gonna pay a fortune, and you can enjoy making this a beautiful and fun car.

Best Car Ever
By Best Car Ever on 10/21/08 16:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car from a lady in 03 with 67,000 miles on it. I now have 140,000 and it is still going strong. The only problem I had, was the ball joint broke, but Dodge fixed it. My car is a 4 cylinder 5 speed which is faster and quicker than the auto 6 cylinder. The car handles like a dream and rides perfect. Gas mileage is about 30 miles on the hwy and 22 in town. Run this car till it dies, probably buy another new Dodge avenger because of this one!

Never Will Buy Another Dodge
By ngris_09 on 09/02/08 20:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car has given me more problems than ever. Within the 1st year, the transmission has blown up twice, the cam seals have broke, and let's not forget the door handles have broke as well. I have the stock rims and regular tires and this car keeps getting stuck in the snow. The sunroof is starting to break as well. This car is just falling apart and I haven't done a thing to it! I could understand it doing this if i drove it like I stole it but its been adult driven and it still is doing this. Dodge didn't even make the engine, Mitsubishi did. The engine size is pathetic and its not even a manual. I will never buy a dodge again.

Piece of garbage
By piece of garbage on 06/17/08 12:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Since I have owned this car I have had nothing but problems. My ck. Engine light comes on all the time. I have had the fuel injectors cleaned a lot, it always comes up with two codes. I have put over $2000 on repairs into this bucket. My door handle broke off also. To tune up this car, it costs $500 each time. No matter what I do the check engine light comes on. The ball joint broke off the axle, luckily I was only parking or the garage said if I was driving it at the time of the break, I and my children would have been killed. I feel Dodge should fix this car for free because obviously there should have been a recall about why the ck. Engine light is always on. The ball joint thing was a recall.